JM # 07 - First Love

Get over yourself and move forward.

Lea was at the garden lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice when her father stood beside her.

"Is something bothering you, anak?"  Mr. Salonga asked, yet Lea remained unmoved.  "Lea?"  He asked again and tapped her shoulders.

This time, it caught Lea's attention.  "Dad.  I'm sorry.  You're saying something?"

"You sure have a problem."  Mr. Salonga chuckled before walking towards the bench.  He motioned Lea to sit beside him.  "Tell me, what's bothering you?"

"It's nothing, dad.  I was just thinking about last night's event."

"Are you sure that's just it?  Kilala kita Lea and I know if something is not right.  You can always tell me anything."

She remained quiet with her head hung low.  Despite her dad being strict, she can't help but feel happy that he still knows her too well.

"Am I putting you under too much pressure?"

Lea's head shot up and her eyes met with his. "No dad.  Of course not."

"Lea, I know your passion is different from what I'm asking you to do and I've witnessed that yesterday.  You were so happy performing on stage."  Mr. Salonga said as he recalled the genuine smile on Lea's face while he watch her perform.

Her father's voice faltered with guilt and Lea felt the need to let him know what she truly felt.

"Dad.  Okay, I'll have to admit, at first I couldn't understand why you are so eager to let me handle the company.  At some point, I even felt caged, like I had no other choice but to give up my dreams.  But the moment I saw what you had in the company, I realized the legacy that you wanted to preserve.  It's not just a mere company, it's the people that builds it.  You're protecting your people and I learned to understand that.  Now, I share the same vision, dad.  I love what I do and I know I can do more for them."

Mr. Salonga smiled warmly at his daughter's confession.  He was certain now, more than before, that he made the right choice of trusting the company to her.  But what Lea said also hit him.  He has been quite hard on her as she grew up.

"Thank you for understanding, anak.  I'm sorry if it's your dad who didn't try to understand you."

"Dad, performing is something I can always do anytime.  It's more than enough that you've given me the chance to pursue what I love before I take over the company.  It's not like I'll have to give up on anything.  I can sing for you, for mom.  It doesn't need to be in front of big audience.  As long as you are supporting me, I'll be happy."

Mr. Salonga embraced Lea tightly.  "Ang mature na talaga ng baby ko." 

"Dad, para kang si mom.  Hindi na ako baby, okay?"

"For me, you will always be.  But if it's not what I thought it was, what made you look so serious earlier?  Lovelife?"

"Dad!?"  Lea was quite surprised but she hid her real emotion by hitting her father's chest.  "What are you talking about?"

"You and Bamboo.  You seem to get along well with him."

"Tropa kame ni Bamboo, dad."

"Language, my dear.  You should refrain from using words like that."

"Sorry."  Lea laughed.  "But that's how we are.  Bamboo and I, we're friends.  Am I making myself clear already?"

Mr. Salonga was to inquire further when Mrs. Salonga came rushing towards them.