My name is Monkey... for real!

They laughed, looking at each other pointing at me. "He's like a monkey," said the small one.

"I want to get up," the older boy said, moving closer to the trunk of the tree.

"You have to jump and grab the first branch, then pull your leg over it and turn your body," I told him.

The taller boy jumped and got ahold of the branch but could not do anything. He was just hanging on.

"Pull yourself up," I told him while I climbed down a bit.

"I can't," he said.

"I'll go down and help you," I said. I climbed down, jumping off the last branch. I think they were impressed. "Jump and get your leg up like this." I demonstrated how to do it. "I'll push you up." He jumped and I pushed his hips until his leg wrapped around the branch. Then I pushed him up onto the branch.

"Now me," said the smaller boy.

"OK, can you reach the branch?" I asked.

He jumped up but could not even touch the branch. He tried again. Nothing. "He doesn't know how to jump," said the other boy.

"Everyone knows how to jump," I said. "Not him," he shook his head.

"I can carry you," I told him as I stood under the branch. "Come here," I said. He did as I asked and reached up with both hands. I squatted and grabbed both his legs while carrying him up to reach the branch, then I pushed his hips up like I did with his brother and helped him turn to get up and on the branch.

"Yes," he said in triumph.

I could have carried them and pushed them onto the branch, but they would never learn how to do it. "This way you can do it on your own next time," I told them.

"Now we know how to do it, Monkey," said the older boy.

"Come on let's climb up," I said, jumping to the first branch.

They followed me to the higher branches and secured themselves next to me with a giant smile.

"What are your names?" I asked them.

"My name is Carlos, I'm ten and that's my little brother Johnny, he's six. What's your name? Are you new here? Do you have brothers?" Carlos asked all at once.

"You can call me Monkey," I said.

"That's not your name," he laughed.

"It's just a nickname," I said.

"Ok Monkey," Carlos said.

"Are you new here?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm new but I'm here only for a few weeks. I don't have any brothers."

"Do you have any sisters? We have a sister; her name is Alma, she's older than us, she's older than you. I bet she could climb this tree," said Carlos.

"That's great," I said.

"So, do you have sisters?" Carlos asked.

"No, I don't."

"So, you are all alone all the time?" Carlos asked in disbelief.

"I guess so," I said.

"Who plays with you?" Carlos asked.

"I play alone most of the time," I answered.

"That's strange." Carlos looked at Johnny, who shrugged.

"I guess that's ok," said Johnny.

"Want to go to the pool?" Carlos asked.

"Now that's what I'm talking about," I said. Finally, I had someone to play with.

"Let's go get Alma. We're not allowed to go into the pool by ourselves. We could drown," said Carlos.

"OK," I said.

# # # # #

Please vote and comment. I would love to know what you like, dislike, feel, and think.

Don't forget this is part of a short Novella you can find on Amazon for only $0.99 or free with Kindle Unlimited: https://amzn.to/2Z1DSYo