Chapter 17

Charlie's Pov:

me: sorry babe I can't come tonight.

Cam: what? how come?

me: I have nothing to wear.

me: I'm sorry. Tell your family I apologize for the inconvenience 

Cam: you gotta big ass closet Char, I'll see you at 7;)

Cam: do you need me to pick you up?

me: no my mom is gonna take me. see u at 7 I guess.

I had spent the last hour looking for something to wear. Everything was either too formal, too casual, too revealing, or I would freeze in this Nebraska weather. 

Nala:

me: what should I wear?? 

Nala: how about your Levi jeans?

me: jeans? to meet his parents??

Nala: with like your lace top and big cardigan!

me: I'll try it

Nala knew me and my closet very well. I threw on the outfit she recommended. Not bad, actually pretty cute. I added a necklace and nude heels. After straightening my hair and applying a dozen layers of deodorant, I was ready. 

Pretend those are Levi

"Mom? I'm ready when you are." I called as I ran downstairs. She followed behind me right after. 

"I'm ready." We got in her car and pull out of the driveway. "Are you nervous, Honey?" Mom asked me.

"A little." She gave me a knowing look. "A lot," I admitted.

"I know, it's scary meeting your boyfriend's family, I remember meeting your Father's family. I was so nervous." I was shocked that she mentioned my Dad. I waited for her to address it but she didn't. "I'm so proud of you, Charlie. It takes so much to step out of your comfort zone and trust someone else. You've been careful and wise with who you picked." I smiled.

"Thank you, Mama." I was still thinking about my Dad though. Was she really not going to mention it? "Mom, how did you know when you loved Dad?" I asked hoping she wouldn't feel awkward when I said his name as well. She looked at me with wide eyes and a soft smile. 

"I think maybe you d-" 

"No! Not yet at least. I'm just wondering for some time in the future."

She smirked a little bit. "Well, it isn't something that hits you at once, usually. Often times it takes a while to figure out. When all you think about is that person and when you all you do is smile when you think about that person, when you see past their flaws and you feel comfortable around them when you are branching out and doing things to see them happy, and most importantly when you can't see your future without them, that is when. The first time I ever said I love you to a man, and really meant it, everything in the world felt right. Like no matter what happened I would be okay as long as I had that person."