chapter two

[ 02 - CHAPTER TWO ]

― an unexpected arrival ―

an unexpected arrival ―

Hours passed within the dimly lit Coruscant Cantina, and Indirys had yet to lose a single game of Dejarik. Men and women of all shapes, sizes, and colors had trickled in to see the young Calrissian's victories with their own eyes, wondering what had aggravated people so extensively that they would exit the building in such an irritated manner.

Contestant after contestant had stalked out of the cantina with an aggravated look on their faces and a string of vile curses emanating from their mouths. Of course, Indirys Calrissian was the source of each of those competitor's frustrations. They'd all volunteered to face her in a holographic game, proceeded to place bets on the basis of who won, and had all lost innumerable amounts of credits to the slender girl. Indirys didn't mind the vulgar insults that were thrown at her by the individuals she beat. To her, it was simply a reminder of the plethora of currency she now possessed.

The accomplished hustler took a sip from her glass of Bespin Fizz as she waited for a potential contender to make themselves known. When a scrawny Geonosian took a step forward and seated himself across from her, she couldn't help but grin. "If you'd like to play, I need you to lay some form of currency down for the taking."

The Geonosian's translucent wings fluttered, and he laid fifty credits on the table in front of him. Indirys rose an eyebrow, her eyes lighting up with an eagerness and yearning she had yet to experience that night.

"Fifty credits," she mused. "A considerable amount. Let's hope you're skilled enough to avoid losing that much." As an afterthought, she added, "I'll bet fifty as well."

A dissonance of clicks and snaps sounded from the bug-like creature, and Indirys pressed her lips together as she recalled that beings from his species didn't usually speak Basic like the majority of the galaxy did. She mumbled a brief curse under her breath. If she was unable to communicate with the Geonosian, then she would be unable to compete against him, and would not have any chance of receiving the credits he'd wagered. She was dismayed at the possibility, and began to look into the crowd for assistance.

"Does anyone here speak Geonosian?" she called out, hoping no one could hear the desperateness in her voice. If anyone picked upon it, it would mangle the confident appearance she'd been striving to maintain.

The crowd was silent. The onlookers glanced at each other, shook their heads, and shrugged as they began to realize that no one could understand the odd language enough to translate it. Indirys' stomach twisted itself into a knot, displeasure rooting itself in every bone in her body. She was about to lose a phenomenal aggregate of credits simply because she couldn't understand the native language of the man who was offering them, and it was difficult to avoid feeling exasperated about it.