Honestly

I woke up from a afternoon nap on this gorgeous Saturday. I don't have anything to do because, I only have one friend and that is my cousin Karrem . See Karrem fits in with the in crowd and has all the stylish clothing along with the girl dragging along stroking his big ol' ego. I don't understand that , and many times those girls would try to befriend me to get closer to him, I learned the wrong way by actually believing her until I found them making out in his room one cloudy day after school. I wish I never seen that, but I'm glad I did because I wouldn't of known she wasn't a real friend.

     I walked out my room stretching and yawning , I made my way to the bathroom looking into the mirror.

Why don't people like me , am I ugly? A question I constantly ask myself when I look in the mirror, staring at my reflection and all my flaws.

   I touch my brown thin cheeks, and staring into my dark brown almost black eyes. I then pulled at the end of my dark brown over an inch length fluffy yet soft hair.

" what can I do to get attention in this place.." I then turned to look in the full mirror at my light gray sweatshirt and black leggings . I stood there looking at my small figure and notice slim curves.

My step mom would kill me if i wore a half shirt without an undershirt.  I thought and walked out the bathroom cutting off the light and closing the door afterwards.

" Ruby , go tell Karrem to come in for dinner!" I heard my step mom yell. Well she's more of my aunt than step mom, I live with because my mom is in prison for identity theft and violation on probation. I barely know her , when she left I was seven years old. My mom name is Ashely and that's what I call her, all I remember of her was that she loved to smoke weed and drink . I always stayed in my room laying under the covers saying a small prayer when she did those choices with a group of people. I learned to lock my door due to many people barging in . Even til this day I lock a lot of my doors and when I do visit Ashely I barely speak just nod and shake my head, I stare at her and she the resemblance , wish this won't ever be me.

       Ashely's sister Monica , she was tired of seeing me go through a lot with Ashely and because of her so she adopt me , I was about to go with my dad when my mom left , but my aunt got a great lawyer and fought for me , and I would like to say I Thank God she won.

      "Yes ma'ma" I said back to her to let her know I heard .I walked down the steps and out the door , I admittedly seen Kareem and his crew at the corner of the house so I walked up to him. "KJ , time for dinner, c'mon" I spoke up making him turn around showing his beautiful smile.

He started to speak , but I wasn't paying attention, I begin to focus on the features of his mom that he has that I wish I had. Like his pink plumped lips , or his naturally arched thick eyebrows, light brown eyes with flashing long eyelashes , pointed nose and that caramel skin. His hair sat up curly in a high top with a tint of blonde dye on only the top.

    " Rue, did you hear me ?"

He said standing directly in front of me.

" no what ? My fault I just woke up" I looked up into his eyes then i seen him lick his lips ready to speak again, " I said I'll be there in a minute I'm handling something" he kissed my forehead and turned back to his crew . Monica not gone like the sound of that one . I turned and walked back into the house walking to the kitchen , " where is he ?"  She said stirring some soup in a pot.

       " he said and I quote 'I'll be in there in a minute I'm handling something'" I mimicked Karrem . Sure enough Monica was out that door " Karrem get yo light skinned ass in this damn house so you can get ready for dinner, or you gone be starving!"  And with that Karrem came in running to the half restroom underneath the stairs , I laughed to myself as I sat at the kitchen table , with my cool lemonade/black tea , waiting for my plate. During the time of Monica fussing I washed my hands and fixed everyone drink in their own special cup.

        Karrem came out and sat across from me on his phone. After about three minutes , Monica came with turnip greens with hammocks , grilled Tilapia and side bowl of her homemade soup, there was sausage, lobster and shrimp in it with a spicy kick, I loved her cooking. We all said our grace and begin to eat, Karrem finally put down his phone.

" so how was your week Karrem?" She ate some of her greens , giving her his attention, " it was a'ight, same ol'" he continued to grub on his phone, one thid 'bout KJ he sho'll can put it away. I ate in silence , I'm not a big fan of this part of the day, 'cause it wasn't always the best. It's like trying to tell a kid how babies are made, very much awkward.

"What about you Rue?" She looked at me before stuffing a piece of fish into her mouth.

I nodded my head and continued to eat. " I didn't hear you Ruby" she spoke up .

       " it was a regular school day " I noticed I didn't have much food nor any of my drink left .

Sleep makes me hungry , as if I've been missing and starving for a week or so.

I could feel KJ staring at me , only because he wasn't happy with my answer. I tried not to make eye contact as I finished , getting up I walked into the kitchen with my dishes , dumping away the trash. Sitting the dishes into the dish washer I closed it turning around getting scared by KJ leaning against the counter staring at me .

" now, what's really goin' on Rue , because I know you well enough. " he said while looking at me with an misunderstood facial expression. I begin walking up the stairs , noticing he was following , I got in my room and sat on my bed leaning back on it. I soon heard my door close and it lock, I look up to see KJ coming to sit on my bed, " c'mon Rue , talk to me " he reassured me locking eyes with me .

        I laid back turning on my side facing the opposite way of him. He then laid with me on his back putting his arms behind his head like he usually does.

" guess I'll stay her til then, I got all night." He sighed and I hear his phone unlock.

      Right then and there I jumped up facing him , as my eyes begin to get glossy " do you think I'm pretty?" I murmured looking at my fingers messing with the brim of my shirt.

I didn't hear anything , it was so quiet you could hear a rat's  ails tap on my carpet. I than seen a hand turn my face towards him .

" is that what your moppin' about babygirl ? You beautiful , sometimes I hate that you my cousin " he smirked as I looked away feeling my ears and face getting hot. He's such a sweet talker, " how could I be when no one shows me off as a trophy ?" I said as a tear fell, he wiped it .

       " I can prove how beautiful you are , and make you feel special , cousin or not ." I thought of what he meant which I was confused , I sucked my teeth annoyed by that " how could we be related and with the same 16 year of age and your so nasty?"  I asked.

" correction I'll be 17 in two weeks, and I was playin' Rue, I'm just saying your beautiful ,and I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm ya cousin , but because I'm being honest babygirl" I sat there and smiled to myself.

I soon lied down the same way" thank you.." I whispered , after a while he shortly here and there having a good conversation.

I soon started to feel my eyes drop and my breathing began to become steady . I fell into another sleep from the food. I felt an arm wrapped around me and someone snuggles. I can say I have a great friend/ cousin.