Chapter 6

Trigger Warning: Harsh Language

The knife stopped right before it hit me. Catching the knife was one thing. Accepting the fact that I did it was another.

 I had effortlessly caught the flat of my blade a mere 2 inches away from my face.

"Thanks, I needed one." I smirked.

They began to whisper among themselves until one walked to the front of the group, marking him as leader.

"State your name. We don't want to hurt you. Your skills could prove valuable."

"Ar-" I stopped, contemplating. Names can be dangerous things. Looking over at the ever present white-eyed bird, I made a decision. "The name is Crow."

"Crow, please put the knife down and come with us. We don't want to hurt you."

"I need something first" I spoke sternly with my newfound confidence.

"I will answer with as much truth as I am allowed." he returned.

"Great.." I whispered to the midnight feathers beside me. "Firstly, what year is it?" 

They looked confused. "2026, two and a half years since the bombs fell."

Now it was my turn to be confused. "Where am I?"

"This used to be Calvary Cemetery. More specifically, that tree behind you is the grave of an old friend of mine. His name was Archyr. He died 2 months before the nuclear war started, which is also what caused those wolves that were chasing us."

The confidence disappeared, replaced with nervous suspicion. "And what is your name then..?"

"Ezra... My name is Ezra." 

I put the knife between my teeth and dashed to the tree where I had been buried. I climbed up to the highest branch, the crow sitting next to me. Raising his weapon, Ezra glared at me.

"Please come down from there. We simply want to talk." Pondering what I had learned, I replied with, "Tell me, Ezra, is it possible for someone to be dead for three years, and then crawl out of the ground alive again?"

"After all this radiation, I wouldn't be surprised. What are you getting at here?"

"Three years ago, February 15th, 2023. A high school student by the name of Archyr.  Murdered by four members of the Blue Hawks. Two bullets to the abdomen and a knfie wound to the shoulder. He died only minutes later, in the arms of his best friend....named Ezra. Any of that ring a bell?" I smiled without knowing why.

"How do you know about that?.." Ezra looked hurt.

"Am I...really that different after three years, Zez?" I reply, using his old nickname, watching the emotions fight for control in his eyes.

"Archyr?" Confusion

"The one and lonely." I replied, bringing back even more old memories.

"He's dead. It's not possible." Sadness

"Well, three years ago, I would of said the same thing." I sat down on the branch, seeing the small glimmer of a tear on his face.

" I can't believe that after all this time, you were the one to save my ass. Thank you." Happiness

"No problemo, Zez. Give me a sheath for this thing," I say, waving the knife around, "tell them to lower their weapons," motioning towards the people with him, "and I will peacefully and gladly, come with you."

"You heard Arch-"

"Just stick with Crow. You know how i am with trusting people." I shoot him a small smile as I climb down the tree, jumping fifteen feet from the ground and rolling to my feet.

"You heard Crow. At ease. Lets go home."