Introduction

Okay.  For my readers with experience in Pathfinder 1e (or D&D 3.5e), skip the next two paragraphs. If any of y'all have experience with tabletop gaming in general (specifically the D20 system), skip just the next paragraph. For my mundane readers, please continue. 

This is a story set in a tabletop RPG-verse. More specifically, it's set in one of the D20 system's games. The basis of that system is: roll a twenty-sided die (d20), add modifiers (which vary from "you're a strong guy" to "you've been enchanted" to "It's raining and you don't like rain"), and compare the result to either a set Difficulty Class (DC) or an opponent's result. Seem pretty clear? Cool. While there are a variety of other dice involved (including some which don't actually exist, like the d3), they're usually for stuff which uses all the same modifiers, but still needs some variation, like weapon damage (a big-ass axe deals d12+modifiers damage, while a knife deals d4+modifiers damage). I think that's a pretty good primer, right? Cool. 

Now some stuff specific to Pathfinder: there's basically a dozen stats that define somebody (unless you actually care what their hair looks like). Six of them are: Strength (exactly what it sounds like, how hard you can hit something and how much you can lift/push/throw), Dexterity (covers both general ability with your hands as well as aiming skills- it's used in calculating ranged weapon stuff), Constitution (both physical endurance and health), Intelligence (how much you know), Charisma (how convincing you are), and Wisdom (a catch-all that includes all your senses, including common sense). These are called abilities. The average score in each is 10. The average score for a starting adventurer is 13. These are adjusted into ability modifiers, approximately representing how close you are to average. There's a whole big table describing which modifiers go with which scores, but I really don't have time to get into that. Another fairly important thing to remember is alignment; there's nine possible alignments along two axes. One axis is Good and Evil, and one axis is Law and Chaos. Thus, you can get nine alignments ranging from Chaotic Good to Lawful Neutral to Neutral Evil. Other stuff includes Initiative, which determines who goes first in combat. Initiative is a d20 roll (like so many others), but adds the Dexterity modifier and whatever other stuff you have to add. I think that's most of it. If you want to learn more, or if you have any questions about stuff you don't understand, just head over to d20pfsrd.com 

Okay! Now that you're up to date, I'll fill you in on how I've folded, spindled, and mutilated the base rules. 

First off, every character I've made gets, in addition to the feats normally given by their character advancement, as many feats as they can pair with a flaw. This also goes for traits and drawbacks, with the caveat that there aren't any free traits (like would normally be given at character creation). 

Secondly, I made these guys using an unique point buy system: all stats start at 10, and then I can freely distribute 22 points. Furthermore, it's a 1:1 stat system: none of that shit where 5 points means a score of 14 or something. 

Thirdly, I'm using all the core rules in d20pfsrd.com , as well as the Occult Adventures and (eventually) Mythic Adventures variant rules. 

Fourthly, any spells, magic items, flaws, drawbacks, races, classes, or similar that I can find on a site that's branded as part of Pathfinder is fair game. This includes third party publishers. All of them. 

Fifthly, I blame Pathfinder for saying it's compatible with D&D 3.5, because I used one (1) homebrew feat off a 3.5 site. Shoot me. 

Sixthly, I'll be adjusting some of the rules for specific cases where they simply don't work (e.g., using the given point buy system for a creature that doesn't have a Constitution). I'll do my best to adjust those rules in a way that's as similar as possible, as well as one that doesn't make those rules horribly unbalanced. 

Seventhly, material components aren't a thing. Neither are focuses. Except for occult rituals- in that case, both are a thing.

Finally, elves don't have a gender. I mean, look at them- the guys look more like women then the women do!

This chapter may get updated now and then when I find something's missing (a misused rule, unclear explanation, etc).

The next five chapters will be the profiles of the main characters, including their character sheets.