The Ghost Out My Window

First and foremost I want to give a huge shout out to @Ebonwing8.  She was the Only one who entered the contest to be in this short story :DSo Thank you! She is the main character so BOOM! ~Kam & Brie

I walked up stairs slowly eyes focused on my feet the whole time. I was prone to falling so I wanted to make sure my foot went on every single one on my way up. My mom was sitting on the couch reading some cheesy romance while my dad watched the Travel Channel. 

I eventually arrived at the top of the stairs and walked into my bedroom. On the wall was a clock that's hand pointed to exactly 11:30.  I had finally gotten out of my Halloween costume from an awesome party that I went to.

I was dressed in my favorite nightgown now and I was ready for the sandman to come visit me.Instead I got a visitor that I didn't want. It's been happening for months now...Every night saying the next part of the sentence. I would write it down.  Every time my brain started understanding the meaning she would say something completely irrelevant the next  night. No, I do not like her but she liked me and nothing I did would make her stop.

She was probably in her early twenties. She wore a blue dress and that's all you can really see of her.  The rest of her was like a shadow. I couldn't see any of her face but I knew she would always be there waiting for me to walk in and write it down. If I walked into my room, ignore her, and got to sleep I'd her faint taps on my window all night. 

So far (simplified) all I got from the messages is she was a mother of twin girls, she was sick, her head hurts, she's sad, I am pretty, I am her friend and she misses her body. It was creepy, well creepy at first.  I am used to it now though. 

I went to my desk which was against the wall and quickly pulled out a notebook with flowers on it. This was the journal it was all written with. I went over to the window and sat down in the chair I had moved for my convenience a few months ago. There, like always, she stood ready to tell me something.

I normally didn't talk to her because she'd always ignore me and go away as soon as I wrote down what she wanted to say but today I gave it another shot. 

"Who are you?" I asked before she could even say the word.

She stood tall and looked me in the eye. 

"You.. are... Annie?" 

"Yes." I said

"I remember you... That is why I come"

"I don't know you..." I said

"Me and your mother were friends since before you were born. I saw you once but I died the next day."

"Unbelievable" I gasped

"Josie and Jamie are your friends right?"

"Yes." She was right... Josie and Jamie were my best friends and they were twins with no mom. I knew what she was going to say next, I stood up in horror. This must have been why my mom loved Josie and Jamie so much. She was always like a mother figure to them.

"Those are my baby girls... I try to talk to your mother...She never listens though..."

I sat back down in the chair listening more this ghost woman had to say.

"Why did you only talk in words?" I asked with curiosity.

She looked down.

"Everyday...You don't realize, but you go to bed just before midnight. I can only speak before midnight. But part of my flaw is I can say only one word after midnight. By the time you get to me It is already midnight."

It took a minute for my brain to peice it together but I finally understood.

"I will go to bed earlier from now on." I declared

"Sweetie... I am afraid this is the last night I will be seeing you... I can't do this any longer. I see the light but I wait til' I can see you and to tell my girls to look on the third pannel on the right in the basement. "

"What's in there?" I asked

"They'll tell you but I need to go now. I don't want to miss the light."

"How can I remember you?" I asked knowing I always would but wanting something more.

"As long as you keep that notebook of flowers you will always see that you were my friend." she smiled

I watched for a minute as she floated off. It was 11:59. I brought my notebook over to my desk and sat it down. I felt like crying but I didn't. I walked over to my bed and pulled the sheets over my body. The room felt warmer now. I went to sleep and woke up the next day as usual.

My life was back to normal now. Well I thought it was until the next day I went to bed and heard scratching on my window.