CHAPTER 3 A VERY GOOD MEETING

The six left in the shed were too angry for words. Peter shook his fist after the two running girls, and yelled in fury.

"We're soaked! How dare you! You wait till we see you again!"

But all the answer they had was the sound of running feet; and distant squeals of laughter. That Susie! How could she even have thought of such a trick? Poor Jack ... fancy having a sister like that!

"Borrowing his clothes too, to be Jack in the nursery rhyme," groaned Peter, mopping his shoulder with an old sack, "And having a pail of water too! I'm wet through!"

"And fancy telling Jack the meeting wasn't till half past five ... no wonder he's late!" said Janet. "I'll fetch an old towel from the house, Peter. You're the wettest because you were nearest."

"No, don't. You'll only have Mother asking what's happened. Oh, that awful Susie! I'll tell Jack exactly what I think of her when he comes!"

But Jack didn't come. Poor Jack! He was just about to start off when Susie and Binkie came rolling with laughter up the drive, the pail clanking between them. When they told him what had happened, he sat down on the front steps and groaned.

"Susie! How could you go to the meeting and pretend to be me? How could you tell me the wrong time? I can't possibly go to the meeting. I'll have to telephone and apologize for your behaviour ... and probably I'll be chucked out of the club!"

"We don't mind writing and apologizing," said Susie. "I don't mind writing a dozen apologies ... it was worth a dozen to crash in on the meeting, and bamboozle everyone ... and Binkie was such a good shot with the water!"

"Didn't anyone spot that you weren't me?" said Jack in wonder.

"Only Scamper. He growled like anything," said Susie. "Oh, I'm going to start laughing again ... oh Binkie, did you think our pail of water would be so useful?"

Jack went off in disgust and disappointment. He had been looking forward to the meeting so much. Now he couldn't possibly go. He went to the telephone to apologize for Susie's behaviour ... but just as he was about to lift the receiver, the bell rang. It was Janet on the phone.

"Jack? Jack, it really is you, not Susie, isn't it?" said Janet's anxious voice. "This is just to say that the meeting is off for tonight ... we're all rather wet! I expect Susie has told you all about it. No, don't apologize for her, Jack ... you weren't to blame. But Peter wants me to say the meeting is postponed till tomorrow. Will you come then?"

"Yes. Yes, I'd love to," said Jack, much relieved. "Thanks awfully. Actually I was just coming along now, so I'm glad you rang. No... no, of course I won't tell Susie about the next meeting. But why don't you go on with tonight's?"

"We're too wet and cross," said Janet. "We'll see you tomorrow, then. Good-bye!"

So, the next night, the Secret Seven met once more, and this time there was no growling from Scamper, for it really was Jack there, not Susie! Everyone made quite a fuss of Jack, for he felt so ashamed and, forlorn to think that his sister had spoilt a meeting.

"Cheer up, Jack ... it had its funny side," said Pam, kindly.

"Had it" Well, I can't say I noticed it," said Peter. "However, let's get on with this meeting. Scamper, please keep your ears cocked for any sound outside."

Scamper at once went to the door, and put his head on one side. Now no one could even creep near! Scamper could hear the smallest sound ...even the feet of a night-beetle running by on the path outside!