Chapter 14: The Confrontation

"S-so... You j-just destroyed it?"

Ringo's question went unanswered for a moment. Randel rolled his eyes as he took another bite of his apple as the figure over his shoulder spoke for him.

"For the second time, yes," the creature crossed its arms, glaring at him, "now, can you just be quiet? You're already full."

Briefly, Ringo looked over to his apple, which has several bites taken out of it. His eyes gazed over to a book and broken glass, and he paused for a moment as he recognized them.

"Anyway," Randel said, turning his head over to look at the figure, "do you know anything else that we can do now?"

The shadowy figure thought for a moment.

"Not at the moment..."

Ringo looked over at the pair, slightly shifting his sitting position so that he was a little further away. 

He had a chance to ask Randel about it now, but with the creature here, the risk was even greater. But still the urge to question Randel was strong, and it only grew as time went on.

Placing his hand together in his lap, Ringo sighed lightly.

"Randel?"

Randel pulled back from his apple, sighing heavily and standing up.

"What?"

He was not facing Ringo, but Ringo knew that he was annoyed. Taking a deep breath, he opened his mouth.

"D-do you r-remember what you t-told me?"

Randel's eyes widened a little, but he didn't turn around. 

"... T-told you what?..." Randel asked, crossing his arms as the figure turned to Ringo and stared at him expectantly, already think as to what he would do to him.

"You... You told me that you understood what t-true happiness was..."

Randel slowly turned around, expression unreadable. 

"S-singing and m-music..." 

Ringo stared up at him, trying to read any sign of anger that could be forming.

"W-we both know that y-you knew w-what was right b-by the end o-of it... a-and..."

Ringo quivered as he lowered his head, trying to force the next few words past his lips. 

"Y-you t-told me t-that you l-loved me..."

Those words made the unknown feeling within Randel start to stir again, and he bit his lip slightly so that it wouldn't be noticed. The figure on his shoulder continued to stare at Randel, grin becoming wide.

Ringo raised his head and looked up at Randel pleadingly, hoping that he was getting to him.

"T-this isn't you, Randel. It's not. I know who you are, and so did everyone else. Randel, please listen to me, you have to see what's wrong."

He raised his hands to gesture to the environment around them.

"L-look around you. This is where your actions have b-brought us."

His arms fell to his sides again.

"Randel, please think about it. You remember how Pepperland had looked before. Do you really think t-that this is right?"

Randel slowly let his arms fall to his sides, slowly putting a mask of hatred on his face to hide the uneasiness that the unknown feeling was bringing him.

"A-and... f-for a year... I've b-been wondering what you meant by saying t-that you l-loved me. I didn't k-know whether t-to take it as a f-friend or... o-or..."