Promise?

In the next couple of weeks, they avoided the topic. Xue Yang appreciated it, because the last thing he wanted to talk about was crying in front of anyone. During their walks, he went to bathe a lot more than usual, finding comfort in the water. He began to notice that no matter how much muck clung to them, the next morning, YiSang would be clean again. She'd perspire a lot more than he did, but always end out cleaner come the morning. It was one of the signs that her story was true.

"Tell me about," he said at one point, while they walked through another village, hungry but their pockets were weighed by air. They didn't have money to purchase anything. He looked around again for what he could snatch.

"Tell me about, I guess, your world." He wasn't sure how to word it. It seemed obscene when it left his mouth. She smiled at him and seemed to think for a moment before she spoke again.

"What makes you believe me? You haven't said a word about it. I figured by now, you're just letting me follow because you're bored."

"You're too different. Your skin is too pale, so you've never wandered in the sun. You have the habit of dragging your toes after you take a step, meaning you don't walk a lot. I figured you were from royalty, but you're dressed like a prostitute, and you're okay with sleeping in a dirt hut and the floor. You never have to bathe. You have this brushing paste for the teeth. You have these music ear plugs and you have red hair. I can hardly understand your dialect at times."

He was right. She never had to walk a lot, and she was never in the sun. She stayed in LiHua's house after she left the pond. She only walked around in the room and sometimes downstairs. She was used to sleeping on the floor because she lived below a pond all her life until she left. She adopted human mannerisms by living with LiHua's household. The earphones was what she took from the pond. When the statue had broken, she took the eyes, the eyes that saw and heard everything, all of the music, and took it with her. If cultivators have a core, those eyes of that statue were hers. Her dialect was simplified Chinese. Of course, it was complicated for him to understand.

"You're nonchalantly following me around even though I'm a," Xue Yang was interrupted.

"Psychopath?" She asked him. It was a wonder that he was able to catch her gait, study her own behaviors. He truly scrutinized exactly the author had intended of him. She shouldn't have forgotten that.

"I was going to say villain," Xue Yang said, rolling his eyes.

"You're not the villain though. You work for the villain. Now I'm confused as to which villain you work for." Was it Jin Guangyao? Was it Wen Ruohan?

"I follow what ever amuses me."

"I don't believe you," because she didn't. Xue Yang's character might've thought that, but it wasn't true. Xue Yang had a motive for everything. He most likely still went to look for Wei WuXian to bring Xiao XingChen back to life.

"What do you mean?" He frowned. Surely he understood himself more than some outsider could.

"Did you let A-Qing live?"

"I already said yes."

"So, you didn't cut out her tongue and blind her?"

"By God, Prostitute. No!" He wanted to explain himself but how could he say that he was waiting for A-Qing to find someone to end his misery? Lan Wanji would've succeeded but now Xue Yang had both arms and no more wounds. He only had wounds on the inside, and each time he thought about them, someone spread salt on the raw parts of his heart, and he winced.