Chapter 4: After all this time

Kyle Hertz McLorren

Allyson Lauren Faulkerson.
The duke's daughter.. Being part of nobility of course I've heard of her before. Not only do they have the highest standing only below the royal family but the house Zygnas is known throughout the empire as a honorable benevolent house among high society and even the common folk.

In recent years, the stable flourishing house Zygnas had yet again became even more famous after allegedly giving birth to a precious baby girl that resembles Fleyja, the goddess of love. They say she's a living angel with her beauty transcending that of the mortal world. I also heard she will later on become the empress alongside the crown prince.. While some people say she's an ice princess. Akin to the brightest star twinkling in the night sky.. She's beautiful but out of reach.

With the exception of her family and her bosom friend, the crown prince Rafael that is.

When I first heard my father mention that I'll be the esteemed duke's daughter's knight, I expected to be met by a kind and yet emotionally distant young miss. I've met her on multiple occasions already and yet each time it seems she never remembers meeting me or even recall my name.. not only mine apparently, but also so many of our peers at the same age bracket.

So just imagine what I'm feeling right now, recieving her warm welcome and genuine angelic smile.

Dubbdub dubbdub. It's not like this is the first time my heart paced this fast. Before going here, I already felt this way although I hoped not obviously so. The difference with my fast beating heart at this very moment is the warmth spreading from my chest. Wh-what i-is this?

Also realizing she's taller than me by an inch made me want to finally drink the milk my mother kept on pestering me to have. With this thought in mind, I puffed out my chest and clenched my fist, determined to tower over her to be her reliable shield someday.

As I was about to make small talk, she suddenly seemed distraught as if she saw a ghost in broad daylight.

Maybe something happened? She sure does not look like her usual self.

I saw her side glance at the adults.

Maybe it's something she can't tell older people?

I could be of help if that's the case.

"My Lord, Father, may we be excused for a while? I believe Ally and I must become well-acquainted even more."

Duke Michael looked at me with amusement and quickly turned to my father "Like father, like son. I remember you doing the same Eric. So eager to serve.. Oh how I missed the times where you were as zealous on serving me."

"I missed being young too you know. Ah of course, I eventually realized how peace loving you are. Worst Lord in the whole empire!" My dad then slapped Duke Michael's shoulder as they both laughed. They really are good friends aren't they?

As glad as I may be on witnessing this heart-warming scene, I can't help but feel they forgot about a certain request..

"My Lord, Father, do we have your permission to leave and head to the garden?" I ask

The duke then turned to me "Of course, lad. In the future, I am counting on you. My daughter is my most precious treasure and yet I'll be placing her in your hands someday. Bear this in mind."

Dubbdub Dubbdub. I can feel my cheeks warming. I then kneeled as a knight would "I-I I will not let you down, my Lord!" I answered almost immediately to which both the adults just chuckled.

I quickly got up and ushered Ally outside the study room. She was just silent but I can feel her tension instantly decrease. I let out a sigh of relief.