Chapter 4

It feels so nice to be home.

I can finally relax, recharge and lose myself in my books. I make a pot of coffee, determined to stay up and finish the current book I'm invested in.

The sound of the coffee dispensing into the pot is music to my ears, and the fragrance fills my small apartment. I love the smell of coffee.

I pour some into a mug, hold it between my hands to warm them up and inhale deeply. The steam smells heavenly. I carefully walk to my room, sit crisscross on my bed, set me coffee down next my book and gaze out the window.

My apartment is on the top floor, on the corner of the building, so my bedroom has large windows that look out over the landscape on the town

My apartment is on the top floor, on the corner of the building, so my bedroom has large windows that look out over the landscape on the town. The lights flicker and glow as far as I can see. It's soothing to look out at the busy area, beautiful lights twinkling, but unable to hear it.

My mom purchased this apartment for me as an "I'm sorry", and since I was going to moving here alone, she wanted me to feel safe. I sigh.

I don't think I'll ever feel safe again.

I look down at my book, about to dive in when my stomach growls and I check the time.

I came straight home, dressed in my favorite ripped jeans and comfy gray sweater, then excitedly grabbed the first book I saw. I had forgotten all about food. Mentally going over what I have in my fridge and pantry, I skip over anything I have to make, and I decide comfort snacks are the best way to go.

I grab my coffee, set it down on my nightstand and get up to put on my shoes. There is a convenience store a few blocks away from my building. There's not a lot of street lights, which worries me, but the yummy snacks are definitely worth it.

I grab a warm jacket, my beanie that I tuck over my head, my wallet and keys. I head out the door, lock it and make my way down the stairs.

I hadn't noticed it raining earlier, but it must have, because the road is drenched

I hadn't noticed it raining earlier, but it must have, because the road is drenched. The air has gotten far harsher, making me wish I had grabbed a scarf and mittens.

The wind is hollowing between the buildings, wiping around the hair hanging out under my beanie.

I'm in the section of the walk where there isn't a lot of lights and I grip my keys between my fingers, just in case.