Chapter: Sea Serpent

Chapter 3

Three whole full moon later, Kurtis receive a letter from her continent in the south. She thank the officer at the News Receival and open it on a nearby bench. She read it will full interest before leaving the room. Kurtis greet General Nyx who’s happened to pass by, saying her greetings and being returned same. She took a fast paces toward the South Security office, passing by the soldiers canteen that is noisy even from the outside before arriving shortly at her office room, she intent to have a session tomorrow in the Great Hall so that she can discuss about the letter Marshal Connor sent to her this morning.

Weird. I thought Reggie said Connor should deliver any news to him first. And I’m sure by delivering news, Reggie meant Mythical Messenger like Umbra. Kurtis ponder, occupying her thoughts even after entering her office and sitting on her table chair. She pull back her typewriter as it make a screeching sound and start on a new page which contain the approval for a quick session in the throne room as possible as tomorrow.

She ripped off the page away from the grip of the typewriter and give it to the delivery boy, Lainey. “Do tell his Highness it’s an urgent letter from me. Thank you, Lainey.” The raven hair delivery boy nod and he leave there instantly after tucking the letter inside his knapsack. Linguist officer, Leonardo offer her a bar of chocolate suddenly. “Well it’s a very fine thing you offer, thank you.” He shrugged it off, saying it is from his little sister who’s learning how to bake. Kurtis took this opportunity to ask about his family, she thought at least it won’t be boring for the whole office while they’re doing their paper works. After all; this office is quiet with only the sound of paper rustling and typewriters’ tapping─ sometimes electric fan if it was summer season. Officer Leonardo response back after that and soon the other co-workers join in the conversation.

“Oh. So now you only live with your dad and sister?” Officer Matias ask, not even breaking his eye-gaze from the paper he was reading. Leonardo answer it, then the next question came from Officer Samuel. They made a commentary jokes and forth, making Kurtis laugh uncontrollably before she scold them playfully to focus on their task. Although she said that, Kurtis is next at cracking a joke and they all burst into laughter. Officer Matias slipped off his chair and landed all four on the floor which didn’t help any of them further from recovering.

Kurtis wiped off the remaining tears of joy from her eyes and clear her throat. “Okay, okay. You guys will be the death of me from laughter, seriously. Now let’s get back to our work before lunch-break. I don’t want to get the fault for abandoning your paper works.” Everyone nod and they continue on working in a comfortable silent.

Officer Leonardo handed her a report for her review before she handed it to him back with a couple of correction from her. She was visibly worried about some of the report that have been coming up lately; it’s all about the movement of soldiers from the Kingdom of Kaimetha. Kurtis know she and the other captains will bring out their men sooner or later and bring them to the battlefield─ alongside their mages, Janissary band and healers as their supporter. Suddenly she feels like having a headache, she is in no mood to continue writing the current amount of the new recruits list so she resolved on taking a small break away from the office.

She politely excuse herself and headed to the palace garden where all the faunas left from the deceased Queen Freyja still being kept and grown beautifully. Kurtis took the servant stair at the corner of the office, seeing how bustle the palace it at every corner as per usual. She walk down through the Great Hall, the Infirmary, and the East Captain office before reaching the big garden. Kurtis knew Dania will get mad at her for dirtying the palace floor if she enter the garden which only have earth soil as their floor but she’s too lazy to actually care about the palace-keeper’s babbling.