Part 1

You pulled into the office parking lot just like you did every morning at seven o'clock. It was a chilly November morning as you waited in your red 1991 jeep wrangler, the heat on full blast. Just a week shy of thanksgiving you knew that the first snow of the season was eminent, thankful that the hot summer days were past you even if it was thirty two degrees this morning. Bundled in your winter carhartt your dad had bought you last year for Christmas you were scolding yourself for not putting a thermal under your scrub top, scrubs were comfortable but they weren't the best at helping you stay warm. It was then that the familiar car pulled into the spot next to yours, you turned your jeep off and hopped out and went directly to the passenger side of the police cruiser. "Morning kiddo," your dad, police chief Jim Hopper, said handing you a cup of coffee and donut from the Hawkins bakery. "Morning dad, were they busy today?" you asked placing a kiss on your dad's cheek and then wasting no time taking a bite out of your donut. "Surprisingly they were for a Monday morning but, I know the owner". You both chuckled at his comment, Joyce Byers had opened the bakery a few years ago and it had been a hit around town ever since. Not too long after that Joyce and your dad had finally started dating and he had been a ball of happiness ever since. You both continued to eat in silence as you always did for you weekly breakfasts, from an early age your dad taught you that mornings were for "coffee and contemplation". However, after a few minutes of silence your dad finally spoke up, "So, are you okay about today?," he asked you after taking a sip of his coffee.You hesitated for a moment, you had been dreading this day for weeks. Two months ago Dr. Greene announced he would be retiring and looking for a dentist to come in and take over the practice. The previous Friday he officially retired and announced that John Harrington had purchased the practice from him as a graduation gift for his son. That son was none other than Steve "the king" Harrington. "I mean it's better than being unemployed," you said with your signature sarcasm. You could see the worry in your dad's eyes, he knew about your issues with Steve Harrington in high school and worried that this would cause problems and ultimately lead you to leave Hawkins. "You know if he gives you any problems all you have to do is call me, right?" "I know dad, and you know that I will if it becomes necessary." You looked at him and smiled trying to get him to relax a little before you make your way inside. You decide to change the subject for the last few minutes of your breakfast together, "have you heard from El? I tried calling her last night but I kept getting her machine." Ever since you first met El she had been like a little sister to you, she was the primary reason you returned to Hawkins after college, you wanted to be there for her as she grew up. "Yeah, I talked to her early yesterday. She is coming home for Thanksgiving this year, she'll be here on Wednesday and she is bringing Mike and Dustin with her." El was in her second year at Kennedy-King College, your alma mater, trying to decide on a major while Mike and Dustin were just a quick drive over at the Illinois Institute of Technology, both going for computer engineering. "Good, she doesn't need to miss two thanksgivings in a row." You looked down at your watch and saw seven fifteen, so you finished your coffee and donut and started gathering your stuff. "Thanks for breakfast dad, I'll come by the station when I get off tonight." He nodded in agreement, while pulling you in for one of his "I love you so much, I'll protect you to the end of the earth hugs" which always made you feel better. You hop out of the cruiser and head for the door, knowing that he would be there until you are safely inside.

You flicked on the lights in the waiting room of the dental clinic you've worked in for six years, yet today it is noticeably different. The walls have new grey paint and colorful decor, the carpet replaced for laminate hardwood and new chairs for waiting patients. You head towards the reception desk and pause in front of the office bulletin board and look at the pictures of the staff. Shelby A. Townsend, reception. Heather H. Hargrove, office manager. Penelope G. Baxter, dental assistant. Dr. Greene always had this bulletin board up even when you were a kid, and you were honestly surprised it was still there. You stop on your own picture and read over your bio again, Hazel M. Hopper, RDH. Hawkins High Graduate: 1985. Kennedy-King College Graduate: 1987. Daughter of Police Chief Jim Hopper.Your picture wasn't the most flattering but it could have been worse. Your red, curly hair was down and blue eyes visible through your round, wire rimmed glasses. Honestly, it wasn't too different than your everyday look except for most days your hair ends up in a bun on top of your head. It was then that you noticed Dr. Greene's picture had been replaced with a picture of Harrington in a light blue set of scrubs, white lab coat and more surprisingly, a pair of wire rimmed glasses. Dr. Steven Harrington, DDS. Hawkins High Graduate: 1985. University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate: 1989, Bachelors in Public Health. University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate: 1993, Dental Medicine Doctorate. You never thought you could roll your eyes so hard. You scoffed as you made your way to Shelby's desk, turning the lights on in the rest of the office, the radio, and the heat. You hung your coat and purse on one of the racks and grabbed the appointment book and headed to the file room to start grabbing the patient files needed for the day.