The Buoyancy of Love

JANUARY, 1, 2016
TO: CROATIA_WASHINGTON@MAILGAP.COM
FROM: ROBERTWASHINGTON@MAILGAP.COM
SUBJECT: HAPPY NEW YEAR CRO!
HEY, HOW ARE YOU?
I'VE BEEN OUT SINCE SATURDAY.
THE COLD WINTER BREEZE IS MAKING ME MISS YOU MORE.
I LOVE YOU KIDDO. TAKE CARE.
P.S, DON'T FORGET TO CALL JANICE IF YOU NEED ANYTHING,
LOVE, DAD.

"Happy New Year, Dad." I said, as if he's just beside me, disregarding the fact that he is exactly 2,589 miles always from me. Dad's right, winter makes you feel terrible, especially when you are alone. I watched as the snow fall from my window pane. I heard eariler that a storm is coming. That means, people were advised to stay home. Great, I would be stuck here with nothing to do.

My father bought this house six months ago, and for six months, the only neighbors I know were Janice, my father's best friend, and Clarisse, the old lady who owns the old creepy house infront of ours. The old house looked like it had not been painted for centuries. The yard was also as dull as the owner. The grass seemed to have lost its greenness, if there's even such word.

Clarisse was all alone when we came here. There were crazy rumors about her but I never belived any of them.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a glimpse of pizza guy. 5'7, with a hair brushed down like one the Beatles guy. The thing is, I haven't really seen him up close. Only from the window pane in my bedroom. Every time there's a pizza to be delivered, he seems like the only guy available. I don't know his name or who he is. It's not that I have a crush on him, I'm just curious why he's the only person who delivers pizza in Clarisse's house, almost every day. He can't be Clarisse's boyfriend because she's already 60, nor Clarisse's son since as far as I'm concerned, Clarisse was a widow, and never had any children.

I went down to check if my half-brother is already home. Upon reaching the living room, I let out a sigh, of relief. Glad, he's still out.

Sky Blue, my brother who has a funny name is a year younger than me. He looks like Dad, only a much rebel version. We both have the same blue eyes, but not the same hair color. Mine's almond brown, and his hair is like Barbie blonde.

I went back to my room and closed the door. A separation between me and the world. I glanced back at my window. Strangely, even at this snowy evening, I saw a motorcycle parked at the street, infront of Clarisse's house.

He's here, how come?, I asked myself.

I did not mean to eavesdrop nor spy on them, but I found myself running down the stairs, and reaching for the door. I went out, taking baby steps out at a time. I hid behind the bush, near Clarisse's garage. I am wearing my green pajamas, and my dirty slippers. If any of them happen to see me, I'd be embarrassed. There were no streetlamps, only the light coming from the guy's motorcycle which is why it is quite difficult to see what is going on.

When he handed the box of pizza to Clarisse, he hugged her tightly.

"Thank you Louis. Is Melissa ok?" I heard Clarisse asked. So that's his name. Louis. Clarisse pronounced it without with a silent s.

"Yeah, she is... fine. She's still at work." The pizza delivery guy said.

"Great, see you Louis." she replied.

"See you Mrs. Brandon." he said, while starting the engine of his motorcycle. When he finally waved his hand, he drove away. Clarisse went back to her house while shutting the door slowly.

The breeze made me shiver. I am left alone in the streets. Who are you Louis?, I wanted to ask him. Out of curiousity, I ran back to my house. I wanted to call, the delivery hotline.