THREE | NOT ALONE

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." -Stephen King

❌ This chapter contains topics relating to and revolving around abuse

This chapter contains topics relating to and revolving around abuse.

Bill had offered to walk me home after what happened at Ben's, and I gratefully expected. Normally, I probably would have said no, because I don't like being a nuisance, but something felt... Off in my head.

An awfully painful feeling of nostalgia. A suffocating feeling that I'd rather be distracted from.

Bill and I were walking our bikes along the sidewalk. It was late in the day. The sun was setting. I was currently spacing out when I noticed that Bill was looking at me.

"Huh-Hu-Hey, are yuh-yu-you okay?" Bill asked.

I looked up, mildly surprised by the sudden question. "Yes? I think."

"Y-You th-th-thu-think?" Bill pried.

"It's nothing, it's just that I..." I shook my head. "No, I'm okay. I'll tell you later, promise." I flashed him a smile.

Bill held out his pinky finger. "Pr-Promise?" I couldn't help but let out a quiet laugh. I would have never pegged Bill as the type to still make pinky promises.

"Promise, Bill." I clasped my free pinky around Bill's. The setting sun's light shown on his face as he smiled kindly at me, illuminating his eyes. I felt a blush rise on my face and I pulled my pinky away. We soon arrived at my  house.

"H-Huh-Here w-we a-are." Bill gestured to my father's house. I nodded.

"Yeah.. Home sweet home." I mumbled dejectedly. How I wished to run to my mom's house, but alas, I knew that wasn't the way the world worked. "Bye, Bill." I offered a slight smile, and waved.

"S-Suh-See you, Marie." He hopped on his bike and rode past me. My eyes followed him until he turned the corner, out of my view.

I entered the dimly lit house. There are seven days in a week. My mom gets me Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. My father gets the rest.

I walked upstairs, being as quiet as possible. But it wasn't quiet enough. A tall figure stood in the archway to the foyer. "Mary, what did we say?" My father's voice was calm, but unstable. "You're tracking mud all over the floors I just cleaned."

"I'm Suh....Sorry, papa..." I mumbled, staring at my feet. I forgot to take my shoes off at the door. I just forgot.

"Sorry, hm? Where have you been all day? It's almost curfew." He interrogated.