Chapter Nine: Noah

Author's Song of the Chapter: Bad by Royal Deluxe

I'm walking down the back road and nearing the trailer park when I feel as though something is right behind me. At first, it is a horrible feeling that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up but, I relax because though I can't explain it I know it is Dusk even before I turn around. I can just sense her and smell her as her ever-present forest scent floods me, relief and anger flash through me.

"Why did you follow me?" I call out as I turn around, my jaw threatens to pop open at the sight of her.

Dusk is wearing a curve fitting pair of dark blue jeans with Hannah's favourite set of work boots, the boots suit Dusk. I allow my eyes to drift up slowly as I take in the green low cutting shirt, my eyes flicker to her cleavage more than peeking out. I must pull my gaze away before I begin to awkwardly stare. My gaze travels up her neck to her face where her eyes are framed by black eyeliner and mascara that has me trembling with a deep urge to go and kiss her. The eyeliner makes her green eyes have many different shades to them, for the first time I notice the dark green that rims her irises, a dark green that matches her brother's eye colour. Her mouth moves but I don't hear her as I am too busy appreciating the way she looks, unknowingly I take a step towards her that has her raising an eyebrow at me.

"I'm not letting anything bad happen to you." Dusk repeats for me, her words cause my heart to swell.

"I guess you talked to Perry and Carl then, which means you are the stunning new girl Caroline was bubbling about when I left," I say, my words come out a bit awed at how Dusk went to such measures to find out what I was hiding from her because she wants to keep me safe.

"Noah you never have to be ashamed to show me anything about your life. I will never judge you or your lifestyle, it just isn't who I am." Dusk tells me in a raw voice, I don't hold back the urge as I move pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you, for coming!" I whisper to her as I hold her tight against me, I try to tell myself this hug is purely platonic.

I'm lying to myself though even as the thought comes and goes from my mind. I don't feel anything friendship wise to Dusk, I'm helplessly drawn to her in a way I've never experienced before. I want Dusk in a way than more just my body wanting hers, I want Dusk in every way possible. I want Dusk to be mine, no, I want to make Dusk mine. The thought of asking her to be mine circulates but I don't feel confident enough to form the words, it's too early still so instead I hold her while inhaling her exotic scent. When Dusk finally pulls out of my arms, I don't know how she feels about me or even if she feels the same way I do. There are no words as we turn walking into the trailer park together. Dusk allows me my thoughts as I lead her through the park towards one of the oldest trailers on a lot near the very back. The trailer looks no different from the last I saw it on the outside, but I know what it contains can be deadly. As we near the trailer Dusk stops dead in her tracks sniffing the air before scrunching her nose. At first, I think she's judging but then I wait for her to explain.

"Wolves live here." Dusk finally states as she looks at my mom's trailer, the news rattles me.

"This is my mom's trailer," I reply in shock as the news of what my mom and her boyfriend are hit me, no wonder this one is meaner.

Dusk just nods in response as she seems extra alert while we move up the little walkway and to the door. I knock once, twice before my mom pulls the door open, her hair is freshly wet, and she wears makeup. My mom wears a scuffed-up pair of jeans and a dusty t-shirt. I give her a small smile that she tried to clean herself up because I'm visiting, I get pulled into a tight hug that has me gasping for breath before my mom turns her attention to Dusk.