Recollection

(Annie's Tavern. Several minutes later)

*Aaron*

I sat at the bar, lining up a couple whiskey shots, staring at the bottom of a shot glass.

"You doing alright there, Detective?" Annie asks me.

"You know I don't like that name." I looked up.

Annie smiled. "What, a girl can't have fun?" She threw me a wink.

I shook my head. "Jesus, woman."

Just then, the door swung open, and in came one of my old C.I's from my days in the NYPD: Chloe Belle, or at least that what she said her name was. She was wearing fishnets with black heels, cutoff jean shorts, a tube top with a heavy jacket.

She pulled up a chair a couple seats down from me.

I laughed. "Chloe, Chloe. Still turning tricks for twenties, I see."

She shot me a pissed off look. "Really missed your snappy one liners, Aaron. I'm done with New York, been done. Asshole."

"Ooh," I retorted. "Sounds like you're charging at least fifty now. My my, how we've come up in the world."

Chloe flipped me the bird as she ordered rum.

I looked back at my glass, pulling out a picture I saved of Megan and Jason at the playground.

"Who are they?" Annie asked me, looking at them.

"My wife and boy. This was from last year, one of the last times I'd see them."

"What happened?" Annie asked.

"We got home, goons were waiting for us, and...I lost them. I got off a few good shots, but...I couldn't save them."

Annie grabbed my hand, rubbing it. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart."

"Don't be; I brought it on myself. That's what I get for trying to take down Anthony."

Chloe came next to me, only for Annie to slam a bat down on the bar.

"Beat it, skank. I've got this." Annie stared Chloe down before she stormed out.

"Sorry, boo. So, anyway, where's this Anthony guy now?"

"Last I heard, he escaped during a prisoner transfer. His lady was the getaway driver, real slick shit. I haven't found any proof he's responsible, but I swear to God if he is..."

I slammed a fist down onto the bar, only for Annie to grab my hand, and reach across it to hug me.

"I'm sorry, Aaron, really. I hope you can find some peace."
She reached for a piece of paper, and wrote something down on it.

I looked at it, and it was her number.

"If you need anything." She smiled. "I'll fix you another drink, it's on the house."

I sat, waiting for my last drink