What Does It Take to Make You Love Me?

Disclaimer: Everything belongs to Rick Riordan.

AU: Demigod – safe phones are invented. Rachel is allowed into camp. Set after Battle of the Labyrinth. Anyways:

I had just arrived at Camp Half Blood. It was the only place I felt like I belonged. Sure, some half -bloods gave me nasty looks but I didn't really mind. Of course, I wasn't demigod so figures. But atleast here, I could be myself and talk about the strange things I saw through the Mist without people suggesting an appointment with a psychiatrist. This was kinda like a surprise visit. I hadn't told anyone that I was arriving today. And today was my birthday too. Not that I cared. And not that my parents noticed.

As I passed Thalia's Pine, I scratched Peleus's neck. He was kinda fond of me now and it felt good to be recognized. Like I belonged there. I walked down to where the cabins where.

Wherever I went, many people turned to look at me. Some smiled. Some frowned. Some acted like they didn't give a shit. I walked past the Poseidon cabin and saw Grover and Percy in there. I stood out, hoping to surprise them. I heard faint music from inside. I craned my neck to hear it. Oh, it was 'Just the way you are' by Bruno Mars. And they were talking.

Percy was saying, 'Man, this song is so her. I wish I could like tell her how much she means. '

Then I couldn't hear what Grover said except for the last words. 'Favorite song too.'

Oh great!

I walked away from the cabin in a sulk and walked to Thalia's Pine. I climbed up one of the low hanging branches and sat there. The song didn't mean me, of course.

'Her eyes, her eyes make the stars look like they're not shining.'

'Her hair falls perfectly without her trying.'

Definitely not me. My eyes didn't shine and my hair was-(the most decent word) - a mess of frizzy curls. True, I had a massive crush on Percy. I had thought he was cute and hot in Hoover Dam and then I had developed feelings in the Labyrinth and, voila, massive crush.

And I know I'm not pretty or hot. Annabeth was both. And she was smart. And knew Percy for longer than I did. They were the perfect couple. Except for my feelings. Annabeth thought Percy liked me, Rachel. I almost started laughing at that. ME! I turned to look at the direction of the Poseidon Cabin. He had come out now and was heading towards the practice arena. I thought, 'What does it take to make you love me?'

Then I had an idea. An idea so monumentally unlike me that I knew that I was desperate. I picked up my phone and called my driver and hurried down the hill.

I rushed home, a bit like a crazed woman. Mom was in her room, sipping tea and reading her woman's magazines as a maid prepped her nails  for some party.

I went out to the dining table. There, as usual, mom's purse was lying, discarded.

Mom didn't care if the servants pinched cash because we had so much, it didn't matter. But still, I wanted to be careful so as to avoid unnecessary questions pertaining why I needed it. I opened it and took out a hundred dollar bill. As I closed the purse and turned, I spotted a maid staring at me with surprised large eyes. I held a finger to my lips and the maid nodded and went away and I quickly slipped out of the front door of the mansion.

After a stop at a cosmetics store, I went into a public wash room. I returned after half hour of incredible pain and effort. My driver, usually expressionless, widened his eyes when he saw me but didn't ask anything. I rode in the car till the foot of Half Blood Hill and dismissed him. As I was climbing the hill, kinda slowly due to the heavy bag in my hand, I saw Silena Beauregard on her pegasus.