II: Ordinary

I'm laying in the most comfortable bed I've ever felt. At least that's what I think considering I was laying on the uncomfortable field for god knows how long. Earlier I walked so long until I found civilization from the empty field. "Sweetie, would you like some water?"asked a kind looking face.

She is the nice lady that welcomed me into her house. She has shoulder length light hazel curly hair that suits her perfectly. "Yes please", she handed me the warm cup.
I drink the whole cup of water super quickly as if I haven't drank anything for weeks.

"Are you hungry too?" She asked.

I nod my head. I was starving. Her eyes are filled with curiosity when she looks at me. But at the same time they make me feel safe.

"Do you like chicken soup? I just cooked some."

I nod again. She gave me a warm smile and walked into the kitchen. As I sit here alone, I look around at her small, cozy house. There is a small sofa sitting in the middle of the room that looks like she had it for many years. Across from that there is a small television. There are many small framed pictures of her and two men, one about her age and one younger. Her house makes me feel safe, and her smile tells me I don't ever have to alone again. I want to stay here forever, and not go anywhere else, but I know it's impossible.

She walks in the room with a bowl in her hand. It smells so delicious, and my stomach growls . She placed it on the table a few feet away from the chair I was sitting on, and gestures me to go to the table. I sit down in one of the wooden chairs and carefully scoot myself in. I look down at the hot soup, smelling it, already imagining how it would taste like. I take a bite, and it is heaven. I continue to eat it while the kind lady talk to me.

"I'm Jane, but you can call me Mrs.Porter." She told me. "What's your name sweetie?"

I try to think, but I can't. "I'm... I... I don't know."

"Hmm.. Then do you mind if I call you April? Since it's the first day of April today."

I nodded with a slight smile. I think of the name over and over again in my head. April.

Mrs.Porter continued to ask me questions about myself, but I only really with "I don't know." She finally gives up, and decided to get me washed up. She hands me towels and clothes. "I'm the only woman in the house, so if you don't mind, you can wear my clothes." She tells me.

I accept it, and walk to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror for a while. In the mirror, there is a familiar, yet distant girl staring back at me. She is staring at me with shiny green eyes filled with sadness and pain.

Then I take off the tank with stained with grass and dirt, leaving me in my underwear. I turn around, noticing a big scar across the upper left side of my back. I reach my arms back, tracing the line delicately. I wonder what happen to me before, and why I have a scar across my back.

As I continue getting ready to shower, I look at the purple string around my wrist. I think I should take it off, but for some reason I have a feeling I should keep this on.