Chapter Eleven

The next several months were a nightmare.  Siobhan and I avoided each other like the plague.  But every Friday and Saturday night, I could hear Devon's car pull up in front of hers, honk, and she was out the door in a flash. 

One night, her dad was over, helping mine out, and I overheard their conversation about Devon.

"Yea, he's a nice lad, but I guess I always thought she and Niall would end up together. Hope you don't mind me saying that, Bobby."

"Not at all.  I love Siobhan, she's a part of this family, too, just as Niall is a part of yours. But, yea, I kinda had my heart set on the day when he would tell me he liked her and wanted my help with it or something. I don't know. Lately, he seems so angry.  Has Siobhan said anything?"

Her father paused, "You know, she hasn't.  She hasn't really mentioned Niall, lately, to be honest."  He shrugged, "But, then again, she's been so busy with Devon, that I feel like I haven't seen Niall in months."

"Honestly, same here.  She hasn't been over here in quite awhile. You two should come around for dinner soon. We'd love to have ya."

After her dad left, I angrily went into my father's room and said to him, "Siobhan will not be coming to this house anymore, Dad. Haven't you noticed, she's too busy with her new boyfriend. And I don't want her here anymore!"

"Whoa!  Niall, what's gotten into you?"

"She's busy, Dad.  She doesn't have time for me.  And, quite frankly, I don't have time for her!"

Without letting him say another word, I turned quickly around and walked out, slamming my door upon reentering my room.

A couple weeks later, school was out for the summer. Thomas and Devon usually volunteer at their former summer camp which usually left me and Siobhan to hang out with each other. Usually, Devon's whereabouts didn't matter but this year, I guess they did. I watched from my window as she said goodbye to him. 

"Ugh," I rolled my eyes, "How do you stand watching that at yer house, Thomas?"

"I don't. Devon always gives me a look when my presence is no longer wanted and I go hide in my room. Unfortunately, his room is next to mine so I can still hear them making out." He shuddered a little.

I cringed at the thought of someone else's lips on hers.  "Have they, uh, ya know, done anything besides make out?" I asked, hoping I sounded nonchalant.

"Ew, gross, I don't wanna know if he's banging one of my best friend's, shit Niall. Now I have that fucking image in my head, thanks a lot, man." Thomas rubbed his eyes trying to escape the image.

Devon and Siobhan's lips finally parted ways and Devon honked his car horn for Thomas. Thomas slapped me on the back and was out. I watched from my front porch as Siobhan watched from hers. When the dust cleared, we were left to look at each other. She looked at me for a long while, as I looked at her, both of us too stubborn to be the first to want to be friends for the summer. She then turned around and walked back into her house. "Well, this is going to be a great summer," I mumbled as I made my way back into my house.