03 | TIME

Enjoy you guys! Don't forget to let me know what you think!

❉ s a r a h ❉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 | T I M E

"Why?" I folded my arms across my chest, carefully watching him. "Why after all of this time?" I challenged.

"Because my father is dead," Emmett stated without emotion and I knew without a doubt he probably wouldn't actually be feeling anything. "My half-brother hasn't been sworn in as King yet so it won't be too difficult claiming back my title."

"But..." I trailed off, raising an eyebrow in confusion as Emmett took another puff of his cigarette. "You didn't want this. If your brother is taking over, isn't that a good thing? The King was an asshole anywa-" I stopped, swallowing my words. "Why leave the kingdom in the first place if you were just going to come back?" Emmett shrugged at my question.

"I've heard rumours of Griffin's plan for the kingdom and I disagree with it. The only way I can do anything about it is to take back my throne."

"His plan? That's the reason?"

"You seem surprised," he frowned, his forehead creasing like he was confused.

"Well...he can't be that bad," I rolled my eyes, "I mean-"

"He's planning on wiping out humanity," he quickly interrupted and as he did, I froze, replaying what he said again. "Is that a good enough reason, Eliana?" Emmett asked, a hint of smugness in his tone despite the gravity of his words.

"But why would he do that? Humans don't even know about us!" I spluttered out, my heart racing because, even though I didn't want to believe him, I knew through our bond that Emmett wasn't lying. "It's just...I mean- We're perfectly fine being left alone. He'll just start a war and it's not a war we would win. There's not enough of us."

"I know that," Emmett sighed, finally flicking his cigarette to the ground before squishing it under his boot. "But Griffin obviously doesn't see it that way. We need to get there as soon as possible," he stated time reaching out to me, obviously waiting for me to touch him so he could teleport us away.

"I understand that but...but why do you need me?" I could hear the uncertainty in my voice as I spoke and when my heart rate increased, I tried to supress the hope bubbling in my chest. Emmett exhaled slowly, like he was frustrated that I couldn't decipher what he was thinking.

"Because you're my mate. I'm powerful but...I'd be more powerful with you close to me. I wouldn't be able to break through the defence barriers without you either and once I'm in, I doubt I'll be accepted unless I have a Queen by my side."

"Okay..." I trailed off, knowing that was he was saying was true. Because of his absence and lack of training, Emmett's claim would be questioned. With me though, his power would surpass that of everyone in the kingdom and there's no possibility of anyone arguing with that. "But what if I say no?" I murmured softly, taking a slight step back. Emmett's eyes widened in surprise at my words.

"No?" he repeated carefully. "What do you mean no?"

"You left me to fend for myself when I was fourteen," I breathed, trying to control my anger as a fire started to spread throughout my chest. I focused my gaze on his, refusing to look away. "I watched as my family were arrested. I lost everything because of you," I evenly whispered, finding that I couldn't even bring myself to care when his expression contorted with the pain of my words. There was silence for a bit before Emmett smiled softly, moving a little closer toward me.