Chapter 2

(More angst. That's it.)

Chapter 2 theme song: Will You Stay? from LIZZIE the Musical

______________________________

~ Let me bring back your smile ~

Zach was still sitting beside Al, rubbing soothing circles on his back as he cried. By now, it was silent, just a steady stream of tears running down his face. He only let go when his Z-band beeped with a message, and Al's head jerked up to see what made him stop. Zach glanced at him and twisted his arm slightly so he could see the screen.

"It's Zephyr. He's outside, I'm gonna go let him in," he said and Al closed his eyes for a moment, "You OK waiting here?"

Al nodded slowly and opened his eyes again, taking a calming breath. Zach patted his shoulder once more then stood up and left the room. He opened the front door to Zephyr anxiously rocking back and forth on his heels, looking up and down the street for any signs of the zombie patrol, and quickly ushered him inside.

"What's going on?"

"Ssh," Zach raised a finger to his lips, "He doesn't want my parents finding out... Come on."

Zephyr followed him upstairs and found Alonzo sitting in the corner of Zach's room, his chin resting on top of his knees with his arms wrapped around them as he stared into space.

"Al, baby?" Zeph almost whispered and at that one word, Al looked up at him in recognition, then relief. He had been worried about Zephyr being there but actually seeing him reminded him of every conversation they'd had about this. Zephyr loved him, and he cared about him. He wasn't scared of him. He wouldn't judge him. He was here because he loved him.

Alonzo took a shaky breath, then opened his arms and Zephyr ran straight to him, kneeling on the floor to pull him into a hug. Al immediately nestled into his neck and cried as Zephyr stroked his hair, rocking him back and forth.

"Zzh, droz grodge grog, zreeka. Ag zu ru," Ssh, it's all OK now, sweetheart. I'm here, he murmured into his ear. Zach had come to join them, crouching beside Al with a hand on his shoulder. Zephyr was about to ask what happened when he saw the torn-open plastic bag on the floor and frowned, "What's that?"

"That," Zach pointed at it as Zephyr picked it up, "Is your culprit. Guess who ate almost the entire bag?"

The second Zephyr's hand left him, Al clung to him even tighter and he moved his other hand to rub the back of his neck.

"Marshmallow brains? Why were you even eating brain f-"

"I went feral..." Al admitted, ducking his head. He reminded himself one more time that Zephyr loved him, no matter what.

"What?" Zephyr's brow creased in concern, placing a hand on Al's face and turning him to look him in the eyes, "Feral? Like real, honest-to-Z zombie feral?"

Al shrugged lamely, "As close as I'm gonna get..."

"I don't- Wh-" Zeph stammered, shaking his head, then turned to Zach, holding up the bag towards him, "Why did you even have these anywhere near him?" he practically growled, "You know he can't-"

He cut himself off when he felt Al grip his shoulders, getting his attention, and turned back to look at him.

"Zeph, don't blame him. I told him he could," Al said tiredly.

Zephyr huffed and crumpled up the bag before tossing it onto the floor again, "You didn't have to listen!" he shot Zach a half-annoyed, half-disappointed look, making him flinch.