Chapter One: Rebirth

Once again disclaimer this Fanfic doesn't belong to me not the story development in this chapter

Light walked down the busy streets of the Tokyo Settlement, avoiding the plight of an eleven being mercilessly tormented in an alley by a few Britannians. He sighed.

Just another day, I suppose, he thought. This world is truly rotten.

He was fortunate he took after his father, and not his mother. Though he was a half-breed, he would be able to blend in with an average crowd of Britannians, and because he had been raised in such an environment, he spoke English fluently and without any accent, while still being able to speak a fair share of Japanese. However, very few people actually used that language anymore. Not since Japan had been gutted and renamed.

Light walked up the stairs and into the last class of the day, History of the Empire, where he was yet again forced to gaze out the window, bored and hoping something would alleviate the tedium of his life. Just as this thought crossed his mind, he spied something black simply fall from the sky. In the afternoon sun, he caught a glimpse of it. It appeared to be a black leather notebook, and in a silver scrawl on the front of it read: Death Note. Light arched an eyebrow in thought.

Death Note? What, like a notebook of death? he pondered. After putting the thought from his mind, he went back to the autopilot that got him through his day, and the final bell sounded throughout the massive school.

"Attention, attention, attention!" the overly-enthusiastic voice of the Student Council President, Millie Ashford, screeched. "Hope everybody had a great day today, but not too much, because it's not over yet! After the brave rescue of our own highly un-athletic Lelouch by new Student Council member and super cool guy, Suzaku Kururugi, there will be a mandatory celebration in just a few days! I call it: the Catching of the Cat! Clever, huh? Anyway, make sure to stay prepared for this wonderful day, and remember:"

What followed was a loud, high pitched voice saying 'meow', as had happened earlier that day when the Council President had suspended all school activities to hunt for a cat.

Honestly, the power possessed by the Student Council in this school is just absurd, Light monologued internally, walking through the corridors. And yet they do almost nothing but use it for personal gain or some stupid game or idea that is currently occupying them. Don't they realize there are actual problems that need solving?

Light continued berating his peers within the confines of his mind, as he walked into the courtyard he had seen the notebook from earlier fall. Sure enough, there on the ground was a simple, black leather little notebook. Light, curiously, picked it up and opened it.

The human whose name is written in this note shall die? How ridiculous. This has gotta be some kind of prank or joke. Like those chain letters. I'm not falling for it, and with that, he put the notebook back on the ground, smiling at the slight distraction and walking away. But it only took a second for the memory of the world around to collide with him. And with it, his crushing boredom. He spun around, taking care nobody saw him behaving so stupidly, and stuffed the notebook into his backpack, walking through the streets to his house, casually hiding the Death Note inside a larger book, familiarizing himself with the seemingly endless rules within.

On his way, he spied an eleven woman being harassed by some thugs.

"Come on, babe," the lead guy said. "Nobody turns down Ricky George, am I right, boys?"

"Hell yeah, man," one of his friends chimed in with an oafish laugh. "She must be stupid or something!"

"Well, what else can you expect from elevens?" another shouted.