Chapter Four: Confrontation

Once again disclaimer this Fanfic doesn't belong to me not the story development in this chapter

"The importance of this piece is beyond recognition in Britannian history!" the highly enthusiastic teacher squealed from behind her desk, chalk in hand and book opened to the part she was speaking of in front of her.

"Can anyone tell me what it was that Hemingway said of Twain most famously in 1934?"

When no response came, she sighed and placed her hands on her hips. "Anyone? Perhaps-"

"The Black Knights!" Kallen Stockfield suddenly shouted, standing up in her seat, somehow jolted out of what had been a peaceful sleep. The class paused to register what had happened, and then erupted in stifled laughter.

"Miss Stockfield!" the teacher shouted imperiously. "Perhaps you don't care about recieving a proper education, but I would be declared a charlatan if I were to allow you to rob your peers of such!"

"Erm, yes, ma'am," she groaned, sitting back down and rubbing her eyes, too groggy to understand the teacher's enigmatic speech. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again."

"I should hope not!" the teacher retorted through narrowed eyes. "Perhaps someone else could be so knowledge-indulgent? No one? Very well, Yagami, please answer my question."

"Right," Light said, turning his gaze from the window to his textbook. "All Britannian writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since."

"Thank you, Light," she smiled, and continued with her lesson. "What Hemingway means by this, is that Twain managed to properly write the true nature of racial subjugation, something that is a cornerstone to our society!"

The rest of the students began studiously copying down what the teacher wrote, but Light merely snorted quietly and looked back outside. Ryuk was floating around the room and looking over the shoulder of individuals, before finally returning to Light, who, much to his boredom, was simply staring out the window at the courtyard below.

Five minutes passed and the bell rang, releasing the students from their day. Light packed up and walked past another high-achiever from the school, Lelouch, who was very characteristically sleeping in class. Light smirked. He'd never say it, but he knew he was better than all of them. Both in academics, and in . . . other ways. Who among them was accomplishing what he was doing every day?

"I thought it would never end!" Ryuk groaned. "How do you do this everyday, it's so boring!"

He rubbed at his ancient joints, and realized Light had walked right past him.

"Hey! Where you going?"

He followed him out into the courtyard, taking up a usual position hovering over his shoulder.

"Light?" he growled. "Are you listening to me?"

"Don't talk to me," Light hissed back, moving his mouth as little as possible. "Unlike you, people can still hear me when I talk out loud."

"Ugh, aren't you boring!"

"Hey, what's up Light!" shouted someone he'd never particularly cared for. "The student council and us were just going to head down to the-,"

"Sorry, Rivalz," he said quickly, not even looking in the other student's direction. "But I'm really busy tonight."

"You don't have anything to do!" Ryuk retorted, switching shoulders to try and appear in Light's eyesight. "Aren't you just going to hang out in your room all night like usual?"

"What are you talking about?" Light shot back, volume controlled. "Of course I have something to do."

He came to a stop at the end of Ashford Academy and stared out into the Tokyo Settlement, and at all the people milling about, going on with their ordinary lives. He smiled wide.