Chapter 1

“Well? Are you going to open it or not?”

“I’m getting to it,” I said timidly, staring down the stack of envelopes on the kitchen counter. The size of each told whether they were acceptances or rejections, but it was still difficult to pick one up and tear it open. They held my future. I wanted to do this slowly.

“Oh my God, Gracie,” Austin whined, bouncing up and down on his toes. “You’re killing me, sweetheart. Just open it!”

“Okay, okay!” I picked up the first envelope. Austin, my parents, and my three younger sisters were all watching me expectantly. “Here goes nothing.”

I broke the seal and pulled out the letter. I skimmed the first few lines.

“I got in!” Cheers erupted through the kitchen. Austin pulled me into a bear hug, swinging me around in a circle.

“I knew you could do it!” He placed a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

“Eww!” cried my 9-year-old twin sisters, Emelia and Rose. Everybody laughed.

“We’re very proud of you, Grace,” said my father. “Now open the rest of them!”

I did. I got into 3 of the 4 schools I applied to, including my first-choice school. It was only a two hour train ride from home and from Austin’s school, and it had rigorous academics and the major I wanted: biochemistry.

My parents beamed at me. I didn’t want to discuss financial matters in front of Austin or my siblings, but I had passed my parents the papers that listed the scholarships I had landed. Between financial aid and scholarships, my parents could stop worrying about how they were going to get me through college. Nothing meant more to me than being able to lift that burden from their shoulders.

“Grace, I think Austin has a little something planned for you,” my mom said, smiling.

“How did you know I was going to get in?” I asked him. He simply rolled his eyes.

“Gracie, you are the smartest, most qualified girl I know. Of course you were going to get in.” Austin placed a gentle kiss on my lips.

“Careful,” my dad warned. I blushed.

“Uh, sorry, Peter,” Austin said sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

“Oh, Peter, let them be,” my mom said, shooing us out the door. “Have fun you two, and Grace, be back by eleven.”

“Yes mom,” I answered her as Austin opened the car door for me. Austin sat in the driver’s seat and took my hand.