Chapter 1

Rozonda

"Rozonda, honey wake up. It's your first day." I heard my mom say as she peeked her head through the door. I sat up and stretched slipping on my fuzzy slippers. I walked to my bathroom and did my hygiene, and slipped on my outfit I had hanging on the door.

"Morning mom, dad," I kissed them both on the cheek.

"Morning honey," my mom finished fixing my plate as I joined my father at the table as he sipped his coffee reading the paper. I ate my breakfast and put my plate in the sink. I kissed my parents and grabbed my keys to my Volkswagen. This is what always blows my day. My car is all torn up, and there's a hole in the passenger seat that views the road beneath it. I hopped in cranking the engine and turned on the radio hearing En Vogue's "Hold On."

"Ooh this my jam!" I shouted turning up the volume and singing along.

I continued driving, arriving at my destination. North Atlanta High. There were many students walking around campus, hanging around the parking lot, and going inside the building. I started to drive around until I found a spot with the least cars. I quickly grabbed my bag and dashed for the door...until I was forcefully grabbed by the collar of my shirt.

"Excuse you..." A deep and raspy voice called out. "You're parking in my crew's area"

"Well I'm sorry I didn't know there were assigned par-"

"Were you asked to speak?" She growled getting in my face. "You need to move your car," she forcefully pushed me causing me fall in a sitting position on the stairs. The people around her began to laugh. They all began to stop once a caramel skinned girl with curly honey blonde hair came over.

"What're you guys doing?" Her soft delicate voice filled with venom.

They all began to look down mumbling nothing and walking away. She helped me up off the stairs dusting me off.

"Don't mind them, they just like to torment with new students. I'm Janet Jackson." She stuck out her hand with a warm smile.

I gladly returned it shaking her hand.

"Rozonda Thomas, nice to meet you."

She led me through the school to the main office to pick up out schedule. The lady at the front desk looked up and smiled brightly.

"Miss Janet, how are you?"

"I'm doing good Mrs. Baker. This is Rozonda Thomas." She wrapped her arm around my shoulders. "She's here to pick up her schedules."

Mrs. Baker began to type into the computer.

"Well, looks like you have the same classes as Janet" she said handing over my schedule.

Janet and I smiled hard looking at each other. Thanking Mrs. Baker we took off to first bell. We arrived to the classroom and sat next to each other making small talk.

"So where are you from?" She asked turning towards me with her undivided attention.

"I'm from here. I just transferred due to trouble. What about you?"