Part 1: Elena Meets Damon

Author's Note: This is an AU world, no supernatural. Damon and Stefan are not brothers. Jeremy is Elena's older brother in college. Her parents are alive.

Growing up is hard on any teenager and the transition into High School is really scary. Many guys are jerks after sex and girls are bitches trying to tear you down. You're fifteen years old and you're trying to find yourself and fit in with others, some kids will do anything to fit in. I'm not like that or at least I wasn't. I grew up with very little friends because I'd rather have one best friend than tons of fake friends. I always thought it'd be easier coming to High School and having my best friend by my side but it isn't. You still need somewhere to fit in or you became a target for people to make fun one. It's sad because I've never grew up wanting popularity or anything like that. It's hard trying to find who you're supposed to be at fifteen.

I was a freshman when I met him. Damon Salvatore, my best friend with his black hair and dreamy blue eyes. The melt in your shoes head over heels kind of eyes. He was a junior and the sweetest jock I have ever met. Damon was a football star and really popular. Which was a surprise to everyone when he befriended me. I'm just a regular fifteen year old girl. I'm not too girly or a tomboy, not popular, not a so called 'geek', not bad in school but not the best. I wasn't busty or skinny. I'm average. So why did he want to be my friend? I have no idea I'm ordinary.

The day we became friends was a really awful day for me. I was new to the school like the rest of my class I was still trying to find my way and settle in. The normal things freshmen feel in their first few weeks at school. Emotions run high and all you want to do it have everything be familiar and easy but it takes time. I never really loved school but I didn't hate it either. I dreaded being stuck in the house all day when it was summer but once I go back I wanted it to be over again. It's the same routine every year but this year I'm in a new place. It's much different than starting Middle School. In High School it's bigger and there's more people. All kinds of people and all different ages. In the movies it looked way more scarier than it actually is. High School wasn't bad at all but it's still new and I was still having a hard time adjusting.

The lockers were bigger which made it hard to open. I had finally gotten my locker opened and another member on Damon's team came over to me in empty the hall. It was during lunch time so everyone was gone. His name was Stefan Lyle and he was a jerk with brown hair and green eyes and yes, he was cute. Very cocky in the typical ways of a jock. Not surprising.

"Hi?" I asked looking him up from head to toe wondering whether my predictions are right.

He cocked his eyebrow. "Hey sexy what's your name?" Yes, cocky was the right word.

"Why do you want to know?" I asked not fully knowing why he was talking to me. I wasn't going to give up my name to some random guy hitting on me in school. I didn't care if he was kind of cute it's still weird.

"I'm Stefan." He said skipping my question. I've never been hit on before except one time on vacation but that was innocent.

"Nice to meet you Stefan." I said looking away.

He got a little closer and it freaked me out. "You know I haven't seen you around." Stefan drew a smile. I usually don't get paranoid or anything if a guy is talking to me but this felt weird.

I looked back at him. "I'm a freshman."

"Oh that's it?" Stefan smiled and I nodded my head. "You want to go out sometime?" He wasn't shy about it either. I'm was only fifteen and not allowed to date till I'm sixteen and maybe he was a little too pushy or extremely too pushy.

"No sorry." I said with a fake frown I was about to explain why but he spoke first.

"What?" He was surprised and annoyed. His tone made me uneasy, I turned away to leave. Stefan didn't like that he grabbed my arm right as I turned away. When I turned back he tightened the grip.