Chapter 10

As school ended and I headed to Mr. Newland's office, I gathered my things and prepared for the harsh weather since I would be walking home in it. Thanks to my absent parents and my disability, I didn't drive, so walking would have to do. Quickly, I zipped up my jacket, threw on my beanie and black mitts, and plucked up the courage to face the brutal reality of the cold.

 One foot after the other, I trenched my way with the wind whisking little snowflakes and the cold air. I had gotten at least five minutes in when I heard the sounds of a honk. When I turned my head back, my eyes recognized the vehicle, beaming when the driver rolled down the window, revealing the face of Brandon.

 "You forgot we were driving you home, didn't you?" He asked.

 I shrugged, letting out a small smile until Kinsley popped her head out the same window.

 "Get in, jeez, it's freezing! When did it get like this?" She shivered.

  I obeyed and opened the back door, plopping my bags on the floor so I wouldn't get snow on Brandon's leather seats.

  "What did you expect? It's winter," I hopped inside, grateful I didn't have to walk home. When I pulled my mitts off, I rubbed my clammy hands in a circular motion and huffed.

 "I can't believe it's Monday already. Fuck me!" Kinsley snapped while Brandon and I chuckled at her reaction to the cold, even though we were Canadian.

 "Jess, my parents were wondering if you wanted to visit Quentin on Thursday?" Brandon cleared his throat.

 "I'm having dinner with Sydney on Thursday night, but I'm free afterwards," I announced, and Kinsley's jaw opened wide that I envisioned a roasted pig with an apple in its mouth.

 "Since when were you and Sydney so friendly? What happened with you and her last Friday night?" Kinsley questioned, already irked.

 I couldn't think of anything to say, so I didn't say anything.

 It was like my mind stopped working afterwards. Throughout the car ride, it was silent. After I got home Journal, I did my homework and cooked leftovers, but somehow, I still felt a void in my heart. I almost outed Sydney to Brandon and Kinsley, and I was ashamed.

 I didn't feel better until Thursday.

***

After Brandon dropped me off at my house, I quickly hugged him, headed inside, and crashed on my bed, not even bothering to remove my clothing or makeup. As I buried my head onto my pillow, I fell into a deep sleep.