not even close

“You free right now?”

Tessa glanced at her phone after hearing the small ping, it was Hardin. It was only eight in the evening. Guess he wasn’t going out like usual.

“Yeah, what’s up?”

While she hit send on the message she already knew what he would say. He always does this, whenever he had nothing else to do he would text her.

“Can I come over?”

There it was, just as predicted.

“Sure.”

Tess shot back quickly, no need to think about it. It’s had become a routine now. It was no big deal, they both was trying out the whole "let's be friends" like consenting adults, why not?

Tessa started cleaning up her apartment, picking up dishes, putting away clothes, making the bed. It wasn’t like she needed to do this but it felt good when he commented on how good her place always looked compared to how disorderly his was.

It didn’t take long for him to get there, about twenty minutes. It would be thirty if he stopped to get a bottle of wine, but he didn't really do that anymore. He knocked at the door. 

“Come in.”

Tessa called  

Hardin walked in to see her looking through her vinyls for something to play. The record player was fairly new, Noah had recommended it since it sounds so much more authentic than your blue tooth speaker apparently. He was kinda right.

Hardin pulled off his boots by the door and leisurely strolled over beside her. He placed his hand on her back. 

“What are you thinking for tonight?”

Tess pulled out the Fleetwood Mac Rumors album. He hummed while glancing at the cover then he looked back at her small collection of records and pulled out a different one.

“How about this?”

She saw him holding the Youngblood album and she snickered. 

“It’s pretty good, heard the vocals suck though”

He grumbled. while she chuckled at own comment. Tessa placed the vinyl disc in her own hands onto the player and place the needle into the outer groove, A satisfied smile lands when she heard the opening notes echo out of the speakers. Turning towards Hardin she look up at him. 

“You look beautiful tonight”

He complimented with a lopsided grin placed on his lips. She giggled softly.

“Flattery will get you nowhere”

Tess hummed softly with soft smirk.

“It’ll get me into your pants”

Tessa faltered and she looked towards the bedroom. Guess there was not gonna be much talking tonight. It was fine though, she knew he wasn’t here for that. Although it felt good when he put up a front like he actually had an interest in her personal life and feelings. Sometimes they had those quiet chats, she could see a little world were he did care for her.