Chapter 1

Her phone buzzed constantly. It was a call from her best friend. On her phone, there was a picture of Spaulding which she had taken last summer when they'd last seen each other.

It was now mid-June and summer vacation was just around the corner.
Brooklyn had returned from the bathroom and saw that she had a missed call on her phone. She dialed back and waited for Spaulding to pick up.

"This is Sparta." He said.

"Hey doofus. What's up?"

"Hey! Watch out Brook - you never know. One day it might be Sparta."

"Yes, but he would be yelling. Not being casual." She joked. "So what didja call for?"

"I got some great news!"

"What? You got a 100 on that French project!?" She guessed.

He laughed. "That wasn't it but I got a 105 on it!"

"Genius." She mocked.

"Hey! You get 100's on things sometimes."

"Sometimes. But hey Mr. Genius over here gets 105s." She laughed. "So what's the big news?!"

"Drumroll please." Brooklyn did a drumroll on her bed. "I'm going to New York City!"

"OHMYGOSH WHEN?! HOW?! WHERE?! WHY?! TELL ME EVERYTHING!" Brooklyn jumped up and down on her bed out of excitement.

He laughed. "It's only for the summer. But my mom did say she was willing to work it out with your mom to see if I could stay with you guys-"

"YES YES YES!" She interrupted him.

"My mom might be staying too. I'm not quite sure. But she has me for the whole summer and she wants me to enjoy myself before going with my father again." He explained.

"Hold on. Lemme ask my mom." She held the phone away from her mouth and screamed, "MOM!" She wasn't sure whether she heard a response from the hallway or not so she went back to the phone call. "I don't think she's home now but tell your mom to call my mom! I'm sure she'll say yes! Ohmygosh that would be awesome! A sleepover for a whole summer!"

He laughed. "Yeah but I gotta go. Mom's calling me. See ya!"

"Byee!"

She hung up the phone, jumped off her bed, and pressed the play button on her radio. The first song that came on was called The Sun is Rising by Britt Nicole. Brooklyn was singing along as she started picking out her outfit for tomorrow.

She decided on the FBI shirt Spaulding had given her for his birthday. The F was in green, the B in white, and the I in red. Under FBI it read "Full Blood Italian." Brooklyn was not quite a "full blood Italian", but was close enough to it.

Spaulding always had Italian girls in his school and when Brooklyn commented on how pretty they were he had said that it was because they were Italian. Brooklyn had said that she was glad that 50% of her blood was the prettiness blood (aka Italian blood). He had asked if she meant 100% prettiness blood. She thought nothing of it at the time, thinking he said it cause they were really close friends.

Along with her FBI shirt she had decided to wear normal jeans. She wasn't the type of girl who cared much for what she wore. She mostly cared for comfort.

It was an easy morning for her because she never had to worry about makeup or anything of the sort. She usually just took a 10 minute shower, threw on her clothes, took her lunch from the table and bought a bagel from the cornerstore eating it on the train. It made life simpler when you didn't have much to do.

She spent the day multitasking on her bed. She was somehow on her computer, listening to music, reading, and texting at the same time.

---------------------------------------------

At the dinner table that night Brooklyn was tempted to bring up the topic of Spaulding and his mother staying over. But she decided to just let his mother do it herself.

Brooklyn was 16. Although Spaulding and Brooklyn aren't the same age, Brooklyn acted old enough to be his age. Spaulding was 18. Brooklyn was mature enough to pass as 18.

After dinner, Brooklyn was about to go to her room when she heard the house phone ring. She didn't get to the phone fast enough because her mom had picked it up. But she had seen the number. It was Spaulding's mother.

Would she be calling about them staying over for the summer?

Brooklyn put the phone on mute and listened in to the conversation.

"Maria, we would be honored to host you two here. Brooklyn will be very excited to hear this news." Brooklyn heard her mother say.

"It's a pleasure to know that you are so accepting to me and my family. Thank you again for letting us stay with you for two and a half months. It was lovely talking to you." Maria, Spaulding's mother, said.

"And you too."

With that, they hung up and Brooklyn put the house phone where it was supposed to be. Brooklyn ran up to her room and called Spaulding.

"Spaulding here." He answered.

"Enjoy your stay at la casa de Brooklyn."