Solitude

The loud knock that came from the other side of the cabin door caused both Alex and Samantha to jump. The lights had gone out, and there was that wretched howling noise that was caused by the wind when it wound through the numerous surrounding trees and scraped up against the cabin's exterior. That knock was followed by silence, other than the howling wind outside, and after the wind stopped the world became dead silent. There was no movement; there was no noise at all.

Not even the sound of the waterfall just beyond the trees. It was like the world had stopped. Suddenly, a second knock, this one more of a bang, was laid upon the door causing it to shiver on its barrings. Alex looked to Samantha, her terror reflecting in his large brown eyes. He stood, slowly approaching the door with a hunting knife in hand. Setting his palm upon the handle, he slowly opened the door, but it was what was on the other side of the threshold that shook him to his core.

Arrival

It was odd how quickly Alexander Carter had invited his girlfriend Samantha Moore to go to his cabin in the mountains for the weekend. The outlook was snowy, frigid cold and just altogether dismal. He wanted to go, though; said it was the perfect time to go hunting. He called her at work, and she hastened to pick up the phone as always. After dating for nearly four years, who wouldn't? So as soon as work let out on that fateful Friday afternoon.

That weekend, he dropped by her flat in his Land-Rover, picking her up and beginning the long drive up to the mountains for the weekend. On the way there it blissfully began to snow. The frigid air picked up, and driving the upward winding trail to the cabin was like driving at light-speed with the snow acting as the stars flying by in space. Finally, upon reaching the cabin, the twe clambered from the vehicle and hurried into the abode. Samantha set about turning on the lights, and setting the fire in the fireplace. Alex set about bringing in the luggage, and taking it to the bedroom.

The cabin was small; it had three rooms only. A bedroom, a bathroom, and a living/dining room attached to a kitchen. The kitchen was small, but had all the necessary utensils in it; a coffee-pot, a stove, a microwave, and a miniature refrigerator which was currently filled with week-old bottles of beer and wine, and other assorted liquor from when he brought her up here on her birthday. This cabin was well used; it was their escape from reality. Little did they know that what little they knew of reality would be shattered this weekend.

After all the unpacking had been done and sandwiches had been made, the two nestled into their loveseat-couch, frosted beers in hand.

'Maybe we should come and just live here, Alex. It's nicer here, and we wouldn't have to work so much. I mean, your parents bought this place back in the stone age.'

Samantha joked, sipping from her bottle afterward. She gently pressed her head into the palm of her hand as she sat with an elbow in the cushioned seat and her back against the arm of the couch. She wound her dark brown hair around her fingers, looping it in and out and just stroking it.

Her bright green eyes flickered from her bottle to his chiseled face. He cracked a smile, ruining the stone-faced visage he had held since the moment they had arrived. ''Maybe so. It'd be nice to be here, with you, all day long,'' he spoke, his voice deep in tone.

He was a tall man, fit and taut with strawberry blond hair and liquid chocolate brown eyes. Samantha giggled, setting her beer bottle down on the table and crawling over on top of him, pinning him to the couch before pressing her lips to his in a heated, passionate kiss. Alex attempted to put his beer bottle down on the table next to hers before grabbing at her waist, kissing her gently in return. All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door. One terrifying to hear, as they were alone in these mountains.