XVII

Then it was gone; Jimin wasn't sure if he'd seen it or merely imagined it as Rosé turned away from him to look at the paintings hanging on the wall.

One large canvas right before her, a hazy purple form hovering above a deep blue ground. Like clouds in the midnight sky. Like a dream. "Ah... I love Rothko..." She licked her lips, voice coming out slightly cracked with disbelief.
Wonder. He has good taste-I'll give him that-

Jimin watched her there for a moment, the unfathomable woman in her nightgown, she lifting up her fingers before her, gently moving them as if trying to trace the painter's brushstrokes... to learn... to understand...

He cleared his throat. "Jihun, you may leave now."

I have to ask her-just so I know-

Rosé, who had turned around once more to face a delicate Calder stabile on another pedestal, the wire limbs moving in the breeze created by her gentle breathing, froze. Oh-?

What can he possibly want with me-

-alone-?

She lowered her gaze to her bare feet, pretending she hadn't heard.

The younger Park, who had been watching Rosé with large eyes, his hands clasped behind his back, turned to face his brother and groaned. "Ugh, Jimin... come on..."

"Jihun, I have some private matters to discuss with Miss Park." He flicked his eyes to meet his brother's questioning gaze, the blue chilly and resolute as Jihun rolled his eyes and shrugged, turning on his heel, his shiny blue sneakers squeaking unpleasantly against the wooden floor, before leaving.

Private... matters?

... why did that sound so-

She clenched her hands into fists behind her back, the abrupt flash of pain bringing her to her senses.

"Miss Rosé?"

It's only because of the damned Rodin sculpture-

Honey.

Vinegar.

Remember-

"Jimin?" she responded innocently, beginning to walk towards him, studying how his expression shifted, almost imperceptibly, as she approached him. Swallowing an inward smile as his cheeks pinked, his breath hitched as she came to stand before him, hands now clasped before her.

He licked his lips once more. Regretted the strange thickness of his voice as he tried to summon his husky, arrogant drawl. The one that indicated his awareness of his excellence. His superiority. His control of any given situation-

-tentative though it may be-

"Miss Park, I was wondering if you'd like to dine with me tonight."

Another blasted work function? At least he's asking nicely...

"Another dinner with a colleague, Jimin?" Careful. Supplicant.

Jimin coughed suddenly-humiliatingly-moving the back of his hand to cover his mouth in an elegant gesture. His throat felt incredibly dry as he cleared it once, then again.

"Ah-no. I happen to have a free night this evening and... well-I was-I'm asking you,if you'd like to have dinner with me-just me."

The question hung in the air, collecting dust motes as Rosé's pulse roared to stuttering life.

Can it really be that simple?

-he's playing right into my hands-

She allowed her lips to curve into a serene smile, lowering her eyes to her feet as if she were embarrassed. Flattered by his asking. Bit her bottom lip for effect as she slowly lifted her eyes to meet his. "Jimin-"

Without meaning to, he cut her off. "I-I know you probably can't, but-but I'd like you to start thinking of yourself as my guest here..."

How disgustingly fresh of him-

"B-but you won't let me go?" Rosé threaded a wobble into her voice, cocking her head to one side delicately, allowing the strap of her nightgown to fall, almost carelessly, off her shoulder. Exposing flesh.

Jimin noticed. His voice coming out harsher than he meant it to, trying to overcompensate for the sudden tremor that rippled through his body. "No."

-then the bastard deserves what is coming to him-

"I see." She dropped her gaze to her bare feet once more, then looked slightly forward at Seto's shiny black shoes, the laces done up perfectly. She could almost see her reflection in the toes.

Perhaps if I-

She lifted her head quickly, a slight catch in her voice as she asked, "Jimin-if I may ask-if I have dinner with you tonight, do you-do you think it would be possible for me to call my siblings?" After all, he's here, isn't he? He can listen on the damned extension for all I care...

She thinks of dinner as an obligation. Jimin honestly couldn't say he was surprised at the way she was bartering-something he wanted for something she wanted-adept of her, that-

"Of course," he replied smoothly, studying her face for something-a hint of that look he could have sworn he'd seen...

Then, thinking quickly:

"Actually, you can speak to them now. Follow me."

Rosé inhaled sharply, trying to fight the sudden wetness that had decided to bubble, sentimentally and utterly inappropriately, behind her eyes, as Jimin turned and began to take long strides out of the room, she trailing after him as if in a daze.

He led her up a set of stairs she didn't recognize-though, of course, that did not necessarily mean she hadn't used it before-leading her into one of the many perfectly appointed sitting rooms in Park Manor, this one with an accompanying antechamber.

Rosé spotted it-a telephone, lying on the coffee table-her heart nearly coming to a stop as she sat down on the couch in front of the table, fingers in her lap itching to reach out and grab it. To pluck the handset off the receiver and, perhaps, chuck it at Jimin's head...

Well, I can dream, can't I-?

Hi beautiful angels. im sorry for the lack of updates, ive lost the password to this acc! i hope you enjoy this short chapter i will update as soon as i can :))))