Chapter 1

"God wants us to know that life is a series of beginnings, not endings. Just as graduations are not terminations, but commencements. Creation is an ongoing process, and when we create a perfect world where love and compassion are being shared by all, suffering will cease." - Bernie Siegel

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"Violet White," A voice yelled at me. "If you don't hurry up and hand that crying little girl her orange juice, I will smack the daylights out of you!"

I blinked my eyes a couple of times, grabbed the orange juice from the counter, handed it to the little girl a few tables away from me and apologized for the delay. I walked to the back of the kitchen and walked toward Emma. "Sorry, Em, it's just that I have been so stressed out lately because Vicky wouldn't go to sleep for some reason."

Em, Emma, sighed and looked at me. "Well that explains why you have been looking like a zombie all day." I couldn't help but smile at her. "What about Xavier and Monica, don't they help you at all?"

"Monica has to work the night shift and Xavier was at a party last night."

Em shook her head and hugged me. "Don't worry, soon it will turn out okay."

I smiled at her. "I hope so."

"Now go and splash some water on you face and fix your hair 'cause I don't want the customers to think Halloween came early this year." I laughed and headed towards the restroom.

The reason I have been stressed out so much is because when I was ten my father had died from a car crash. He was driving home from work when a drunk driver came on his lane and crash into him. Ever since then my mother had distance herself from us and work all day and all night that we hardly ever see her.

We see her once or twice every three weeks but every time she comes home I make sure I'm not home. Emma is our housekeeper; she has watched over our family since my mom was a little girl.

I live with my younger brother and two sisters; Xavier, Monica, and Victoria (Vicky for short). I'm the eldest out of my three siblings. I'm in charge when our mother is gone; which is practically everyday.

We live in a beautiful small town called Clearwater. Not many people come into town and only very few leave town. Everyone knows everyone, we all know each other's secrets. There is nothing to hide in this town especially not from the sisters.

I work in the only diner Clearwater has to offer. Debbie's Diner is where I work part-time on weekdays and full time on weekends. The diner is like a second home because of all the people who have been very kind and also helped me cook better. Debbie's Diner is open twelve hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year.

Tomorrow is finally graduation day and I can't wait to graduate and officially become an adult. All week long my friends have been pestering me about hair, shoes, makeup, and the perfect dress for graduation. I have not idea why they are making such a big deal about it. The ceremony only lasts for a few hours, nothing really big and extraordinary.

"Violet, watch out!"

I snapped out of my daze and bumped into a person. The sound of a piercing scream and a plate scattering brought me to my senses. I looked in front of me and saw no other than Savanna all covered in spaghetti sauce and noodles. She began shrieking so much I think my eardrums are about to burst.

"Look what you did! You ruined my brand new dress! Daddy got this from Milan, it cost him a fortune!" She says in her annoying nasal voice with her face turning tomato red.

I lifted an eyebrow and said,"Savanna, will you please shut up and stop acting like a spoiled brat because it's extremely annoying. Besides, that dress looks exactly the one I saw at Wal-Mart last week."