Sunrise.

AS THE SUN RISE. ❞

They said, sunrise marks the beginning of a new day. I lived near the ocean of Palawan. Everyday, my family would like to wake up early to witness the rising of the sun. It kinda gives us energy to work hard the whole day.

And until now that I live here in Manila, I still brought that habit of mine. They'll tell me that I'm obssessed with sunrise so much. But I would just ignore them and watch how beautiful the sun when it rise.

"Summer, you're late again." my co-worker told me. I knew that first before he did, ofcourse. He doesn't need to remind me of that.

I'm working as a Web Designer here. I'll go to the office late because I want to finish watching the sunrise. Then I'll go overtime to finish my works. That was my everyday routine.

"Love, wake up." I woke up because someone is tapping my cheeks. Then I saw Gin, my boss and also my boyfriend.

"Goodmorning, Love. You just got home from the trip?" I asked and he nodded. We go out of the room to watch the sunrise together.

He met me when I was in College. We dated and unexpectedly, he loves watching sunrise too. Since then, we promised to each other that we'll always watch sunrise together. Even when we're apart, the sunrise will be the bridge of our hearts.

"Love, I filed a leave for us." he said after a few minutes. I turned to him and he just smiled.

"We'll go to Rio's Resort," I just nodded. It's his company after all.

"Love? Why do you love watching sunrise again?" I asked him while we were on our way to the resort.

"It was because of my mom. She told me that everytime the sun rises towards the horizon, it brings hope and new beginnings. That we're lucky because God gave us another day to prove to ourselves that we are alive and to continue living. That it's okay that you failed yesterday, because you have another day to change and never commit the same mistake again." he explained. This is the first time I asked him about that. I didn't know he was this deep.

"Tita's right. I hope I had the chance to meet her," his Mom died a year after we graduated. He got depressed that time because he has no reason to fight and be successful anymore. But I told him that I'm still there. So here he is now.

"She's wonderful, just like you. I'm sure she'll like you a lot especially that you're also fond of sunrise,"

"You said you have a sister? Where is she anyway?" 3 years after his Mom died, he discovered that he has a younger sister.

"She's enjoying her stay at Aklan. She's with her foster parents,"

The moment we arrived at the beach, everything seems peaceful. At first glance, you would think that there's no tourist here. But Gin said that this is a resort that tourists visits if they want to calm and relax. Because it is a relaxing place, indeed.

And again, we watched the sunrise together. But the 3rd day was different. We usually watched the sunrise near the shore. But right now, we are just at the veranda. With table and foods.

"It was more beautiful if we were at the shore, right?" I told him but he dismissed what I said. He told me to sit so I did.

"Love, my mother told me that each morning, we were born again. What we do today is what matters the most. The day before she died, we watched the sunrise together. She told me, "Gin.. The sunrise, ofcourse, doesn't care if we watch it or not. It will keep on being beautiful even if no one bothers to look at it. And I want you to be like that. Be successful even if I'm no longer there to support you. Because if they see you bloom on your own, you'll catch their attentions effortless." And that became my motivation."

"Because even if she's no longer there to support me, you replaced her. And I know that she's happy there. She also told me that, "Someday, son, you'll find someone who'll watch sunrise with you.. until the sunset of your life. Wait for that person and I'll be more than contented and happy," That's why.. Summer, will you give me the privilege to wake up beside you every morning and watch the sunrise with you forever? Will you do the honor of becoming my wife?"

I was speechless. I didn't know being in this situation is kind of scary and emotional at the same damn time. I didn't know that I'm already crying. Maybe he'll misunderstood it. I don't want that. So even if my eyes are full of tears, I tried to speak. But my lips doesn't cooperate so I nodded continuously until I felt him insert a ring on my finger. He kissed it then looked at me.

Aside from sunrise, I also love watching those deep catastrophic eyes. Because it will make you fall for him deeper than you imagine.

The day before our wedding, Gin passed away. It was the hardest night for me. He got into an accident while he's on his way to the cemetery. To tell his Mom that finally, he's getting married to the girl she wants.

It was the most painful heartache. When you parted even though you didn't like it. We haven't got the chance to talk. We didn't even bid goodbye.

I lost him at dawn. Hours before sunrise. Why is life so unfair? Yesterday, we were so happy. Planning about the future. Planning our lives that we'll spend together. But now...

He's gone. As the sun rises towards the horizon, his memories went with the dark of dawn.

----

2 years had passed. Today is our supposed to be anniversary. I went to Rio's Resort at night and waited for the sunrise.

For the past years, I had accepted the truth. That odds won't be always in our favor. That we don't hold our fate. That's why we should be thankful for every sunrise. Because it symbolizes new beginnings. A new chapter of our lives. A new page to write on.

It gives us a lot of hopes and wishes. Everyday, we can always set out to start something great and new. Life is different and unique everyday. Maybe yesterday isn't good for you but make sure that today will be.

"Miss Summer, your story is so good! Do you have any message for the readers?" asked the reporter. I smiled at the huge crowd and started.

"Each day is born with a sunrise and ends in a sunset, the same way we open our eyes to see the light, and close them to hear the dark. You have no control over how your story begins or ends. But by now, you should know that all things have an ending. Every spark returns to darkness. Every sound returns to silence. And every flower returns to sleep with the earth. The journey of the sun and moon is predictable. But yours, is your ultimate art. Make the most out of your sunrise," and with that, I left the hall.

Gin, I wrote our story to inspire other people. That sunrise is not just an ordinary scenery. It took place on many hearts. It witnessed our love, fears and hope. I promise to love you until my last sunrise and looking forward in watching it with you again.

Until then, my love.