Prologue

She notices everything. Nothing goes overlooked, nothing, not when it comes to her. Sure, she doesn't even put any effort into mathematics or sports or responsibility, it's definitely not a good thing, but when it comes to the one person who always sits directly in front of her and to the right by one, just one, desk, she doesn't let anything go unnoticed. The way she bites at her pencil when she's anxious, the way she always wears her hair up on Thursday's because she has basketball after school, the way she puckers her lips just slightly when she's focusing hard on something, the way she wears turtle necks and pulls them over her chin constantly, to hide it when some kind of blemish appears there.

   She doesn't go unnoticed either, not really, not when she's always in a dazed stare at that one specific girl. Practically the whole school knows, knows that quiet, asocial, introverted Selena Parks is completely head-over-heels for the athletic, hardworking and pretty Patricia McCann. Now, she doesn't exactly get bullied because of it, but other students just love getting in mild teasing whenever possible, whether that be in the hallway, bathrooms, cafeteria or even before and after school when class has yet to start or has just ended. Now, it doesn't hurt Selena in any way, not at all, nobody even so much as touches her. But that being said, it's not completely harmless to her mental well-being. Frankly, it's quite embarrassing, humiliating even.

   She wishes nobody knew, but it's her fault for being so blatantly obvious in the first place is it not? 

~

   "Selena" A voice whispered, trying to get her attention while staying unnoticed by anyone else. Selena had long blocked out all noise, heck, she didn't even know what the teacher was talking about up at the black board. Was this math or geography? It wasn't until she felt a small, blunt impact to her temple was she knocked out of her little daydream. She immediately brought her hand to where she felt it, looking down, she saw the culprit on the floor beside her desk. An eraser.
    "Selena!" The voice said again, a bit louder this time and was barely a whisper anymore. Looking to her right, she saw her friend Elinor staring at her with her eyes wide, making a face which clearly said; Idiot! Stop staring into space and pay attention! 

   Selena clicked her tongue in annoyance at that, slowly turning back to face the front of the class. The old male teacher writing some sort of math equation on the board, something Selena didn't remember at all, nor did she want to. I can spare one more glance, right? She thought, then doing just that; glancing over to the slightly curly black locks of hair. Yes, one of her favourite things about the girl, but of course, everything was her favorite.

   Patricia was definitely special, she was downright stunning actually. Her dark hair was lush and healthy, her skin slightly tanned from spending so much time outside, she was fit that's for sure. Her outer eyes were turned up slightly, making them catlike in nature, a captivating emerald green. Her nose was a tad bit pointed and slim, giving it that chiseled look of a model, her lips were an average size, with a somewhat pointed cupids bow.

   She was practically the complete opposite of Selena, which Selena downright hated sometimes even though it's said that opposites attract, because as far as she knows, which is a lot, her and Patricia have absolutely nothing in common. Selena's hair is a neutral shade of brown, not too dark but not light either and it has a natural wave to it. Her skin was fair since she didn't spend much time out in the sun, she preferred to stay indoors. She wasn't unhealthy, she was pretty slim but not fit whatsoever, not really being a fan of exercise. Selena's dark brown eyes tilted downwards, almost looking droopy, doe eyes, giving her an animal-like innocents along with her button nose and full, plump lips. She was speckled with tan freckles all over, having quite a lot on her face more than arms and legs.