Chapter 29 | The captors

Ever since they'd first brought Leo home, Cara had been dreaming of the time he'd love them. Now that it finally happened, though, she wasn't quite content.

Why wasn't she his favorite?

"Daddy," Leo mumbled. In the playroom, sitting on the floor with coloring books scattered in front of him (their baby seemed obsessed with coloring. He had a reason, but they couldn't catch it), Leo stretched his torso and reached for Dominic the moment he stepped into the room.

Cara carefully watched Dominic as he bent down just enough so he'd lift him to his chest. Spine straight and eyes aligned with Leo's, Dominic smiled, mumbling, "Morning, baby."

"Morning." Leo's hand found Dom's jaw, absently running a fingertip over the stubble whilst frowning at it. His free hand curled around his neck.

Cara held an arm up, towards Dom. "Give me my baby."

Dominic's expression froze on the smile like a paused video. He glanced at Cara, the way he was still holding Leo implying that he didn't want to leave him.

"Hello? My baby?" Cara shifted in her seat. The edge to her voice threatened without the need for a glare.

Dominic sighed and moved towards her, slowly letting Leo down on her lap. Leo whined first. He gripped Dom's neck tighter, other hand grappling for his sleeve.

"Come on, baby. Don't you miss Mommy?" Dominic encouraged as he pried Leo's fingers off him. After a short harmless battle, Leo settled on Cara's lap.

Cara smiled at Leo. "There's my baby." Palm along his cheek, fingertips in his hair, pushing them aside, she stared at his face. Leo mirrored her expression. He leant closer and looked into her eyes, head tilted.

"Trees," Leo finally said. Over the months, Dom had been teaching him everything his brain could encompass. The learning process had eased after Leo'd finally caught manners—the fact that he'd replied morning this time would've been an impossibility before.

Cara knew he associated the color of her eyes to the color of trees. He had the simplest comparisons, level of his knowledge, and it was more endearing than she'd expected. To see him learn.

Her free hand attacked Leo's side, eliciting a pitched squeal, a hearty giggle and a jerk. Leo grasped her shoulder to keep himself stable on her lap and finally looked at her again with his mouth ajar and teeth displayed.

It was in this moment, seeing Leo so close to her, watching the vivacity in his eyes and the liveliness in his smile, that her motherly instinct took control of her. Cara wasn't quite thinking when slipped a hand to the back of his head, chin tilted down so she'd peck his lips.

Another mistake. Her lips coming close to Leo's hit him with a wave of memories, a lost boy under a train. He tensed and pulled back. His brows dropped. Blue eyes furious. Then vulnerable. Then sad. Then glossy—

"No! Don't!" Lou barreled in like he'd tripped rather than walked, and quickly gripped Leo and pulled him off Cara. Leo hung onto him, facing his neck as if purposely avoiding Cara. Lou didn't look at her. He just held Leo close.

Cara was too shocked at the reaction to even understand what happened. It'd been more than a year. Leo had gotten used to her touching him. Sure she wasn't his favorite, but he didn't hate her anymore. "I just wanted a peck like a mom. Nothing—"