Chapter two.

My eyes darted around the room, trying to find something that I could defend myself with if I needed it. The umbrella I grabbed laid in the doorway of the room; I had dropped it when I saw the man. 

Seeing my darting gaze, the man waved his hand. "I'm not going to harm you," he told me. "I really am here to just talk."

"Who are you?" I murmured, my eyes trailing over him, trying to gain anything besides black clothing from him. 

"What did you tell the police?" he asked me instead, his gaze running over my face. "Did you tell them about me?"

I hesitated before nodding. "I'm sorry!" I blurted when he sighed. "It's just... they thought I harmed the man and I told them that he stole my bag, they obviously wanted to know how I got it back while the man was beaten on the floor." I looked at him for a moment. "Are you going to tell me who you are?"

"Are you going to tell me who you are?" he asked back, raising his eyebrow, which raised slightly above the mask.

"Abigail," I told him, smirking slightly. "Your turn."

This clearly stumped him. He hadn't expected me to tell him who I was, obviously. I chuckled under my breath and stepped closer to my bed, sensing he wouldn't harm me like I first thought. My eyes trailed over the black mask with silver lining. 

"Why do you wear that mask?"

"I'm not much of a..." he frowned and cleared his throat. "Hero, if I can easily be found."

"How have you been avoiding the police? Why don't you want their help? Shouldn't you be working with them?"

"You ask a lot of questions," he told me, frowning again. 

"You never answer them, that's why." I stepped closer so I was almost in front of him and looked up at him from my smaller height. "Thank you, by the way. For earlier."

"Thank you for not telling the police about me, not fully."

I nodded my head and cocked my head to the side. Before I had a chance to open my mouth, he disappeared from in front of me and when I looked over my window, I saw him on the tree outside. His pointer and middle finger tapped his forehead in a salute before he was gone, leaving me to stare into the darkness and wonder who he was. 

~*~

"I'm so sorry!"

It took me a moment to blink away the sleep from my eyes and for them to adjust the bright light coming through my street door. Once I could see properly, I saw Sophie standing on my doorstep with an apologetic smile on her face along with a box of chocolates.

"I'm sorry about last night," she told me then shoved the chocolates towards me. "The police broke up the party and one of them found me then took me to the station but said you had already gone so they took me home."

Rubbing my forehead, I gestured for her to come in. "its fine, Soph, but you did leave me worried sick. By time I got home and spoke to-" I stopped and coughed, knowing I shouldn't mention the masked stranger. "Spoke to the police, I was tired but couldn't sleep, so I'm dead tired now."

"I really am sorry, Abigail," she said quietly, lowering her gaze in shame. I sighed and squeezed her shoulder before going into the kitchen. "Want me to make you coffee?"

"You owe me that, and more," I pointed out, taking a seat at the beat up kitchen table. I watched her as she got out my favourite mug then hers before putting the kettle on. "What really happened last night, Soph?"

My best friend sighed and leaned against the counter, her eyes looking out the window to my small garden. "I went to find those guys but when I couldn't find them anywhere they said they would be that evening, I met a guy and he told me about this party. When we got there it was in full swing and I just... got into the dancing and drinking. I realised I had left you behind so I phoned you, but now I realise how bad I spoke on the phone. I'm sorry I left you, Abs."