Heathens (twenty one pilots)

Song: Heathens

The required disclaimer: I don't own the song, just the story. It's kinda based off of my own personal experience, and not meant to offend anyone. Enjoy.

...........

Sarah was a normal high schooler, until the shadows started seeping into her head.

Everywhere she turned, they were waiting for her. Grinning maliciously from the corner of her eyes, reminding her that she did not belong. Eventually it got to be too much, and she broke down and told her parents, who immediately checked her into a mental hospital.

All my friends are heathens, take it slow

She stayed there for a while, but the shadows wouldn't leave. She found a boy there, at the hospital, who saw the shadows too; they found solace in each other.

Wait for them to ask you who you know

The two became inseparable, and refused to leave each other's presence for too long. They trusted no one else.

Please don't make any sudden moves

Any time someone would come up to them, they would flinch, reminded of the sudden movements of the shadows.

You don't know the half of the abuse

They were treated terribly; they stayed there for ages, and the people who worked there and their fellow residents refused to interact with them.

Sarah woke up one day, ready to face the anguish and horror that increased each passing moment. She entered the main area, avoiding the glares and stares of everyone but her friend, Tyler. She took her meds, and the shadows started to retreat slightly-- but not enough.

Welcome to the room of people
Who have rooms of people that they loved one day
Docked away

Everyone here had a different story, from substance abuse to anger issues to suicidal thoughts. Their families, to stay safe, had put them here.

It's for your own good, they said. It'll make everything all better.

No it wouldn't.

Just because we check the guns at the door
Doesn't mean our brains will change from hand grenades

Everyone was checked over at the doors, to make sure that they had nothing hidden. Sarah herself had tried to smuggle in a pocketknife-- she had found that only her own blood would make the shadows leave. But of course, that was taken away.

The newbies were trying to make friends, she noticed.

You're lovin' on the psychopath sitting next to you
You're lovin' on the murderer sitting next to you
You'll think, "How'd I get here, sitting next to you?"

One girl was trying to get Tyler's attention, but was failing. He must have noticed the crazed glint in her eyes.

A boy, in the corner, was hiding from everyone. His eyes showed fear, and Sarah knew he probably was new, and wasn't used to them yet.

But after all I've said, please don't forget
All my friends are heathens, take it slow

Tyler finally snapped at the girl, telling her to leave before she regretted it. Snarling, she left.

Wait for them to ask you who you know

Tyler walked over to where Sarah was, and sat next to her. Sarah, as per usual, curled up in his side. The shadows were extra bad today, she noticed.

Please don't make any sudden moves

She whimpered as they got closer.

You don't know the half of the abuse

She held back a scream as one of the shadows approached her and ran a cold, slimy finger down her cheek.

We don't deal with outsiders very well
They say newcomers have a certain smell

Tyler glared at anyone who dared to come close. Most of the people knew to leave them alone, especially when they had one of their attacks.

Yeah, trust issues, not to mention

Here, you couldn't trust anyone.

They say they can smell your intentions

The air around them was thick with the scent of madness, permeating the room as more people walked into the room.

You're lovin' on the freakshow sitting next to you

"Freakshow," an older boy muttered at the two figures on the couch. Tyler glared and tightened his arms around the trembling Sarah.

You'll have some weird people sitting next to you
You'll think "How did I get here, sitting next to you?"

More people entered the room. A boy with multiple personalities, muttering to himself. A girl who would fight anyone who spoke to her. A mute kid with terror and sadness in their eyes, refusing to be near anyone.

But after all I've said, please don't forget
(Watch it, watch it)

The group walked towards the cafeteria. Sarah, still disoriented, bumped into someone.

"Watch it," the kid snarled.

All my friends are heathens, take it slow

Tyler grabbed her hand, trying to relay comfort.

Wait for them to ask you who you know

No one sat next to the two as they ate in silence.

Please don't make any sudden moves

Of course, they wanted it that way, and scared off anyone who tried to join them.

You don't know the half of the abuse

Sarah could see the broken look in Tyler's eyes as he fought off his own shadows.

All my friends are heathens, take it slow
(Watch it)
Wait for them to ask you who you know
(Watch it)
All my friends are heathens, take it slow
(Watch it)
Wait for them to ask you who you know
(Watch it)

Stumbling through the day, they made it to the end. It was nine PM, and they were sitting on their usual couch, leaning into each other, finding comfort in their warmth.

Why'd you come, you knew you should have stayed
(It's blasphemy)

There was a commotion near the nurse's station, commotion that usually meant a new arrival. Sarah, not caring all that much, watched, bored. The boredom slowly turned to horror as she realized exactly who the new arrival was.

I tried to warn you just to stay away

Tyler, noticing Sarah's terrified face, tried to get her attention. He turned her head towards his, eyes questioning.

"What's wrong?" he asked quietly.

And now they're outside ready to bust

Sarah, still in shock, uttered one word. "Rhea."

It looks like you might be one of us

And Sarah's 11-year-old sister was escorted into the room, with freshly bandaged wrists and a broken look on her face.

..........

I have no idea what I just wrote.

Leave suggestions in the comments!