🎵 << 4 >> 🎵

The thundering scream inside her ceases as Aubrey made her way to the park in a hurry. The snow had stopped fortunately, giving her the time to think.

          She was confused as to why Lucas sent her the text telling her where he was. Sure, she asked, but she never expected to actually have a reply. Her feet stomped on the concrete streets when a sound reached her ears.

          It was a violin.

          As she got closer, the sound became clearer and clearer, until she saw the person responsible for it. Lucas stood inside the clubhouse, the windows glued shut.

         When he was done, he looked at Aubrey with a smile that stretched from ear to ear. He lowered his violin and opened the door.

          "I did it. It took a lot of time and it's not entirely perfect yet, but I did it," he said, approaching Aubrey.

          She didn't witness the hollow stare he wore earlier when she ranted mindlessly. Instead, what her eyes beheld at is the bright hazel color of his own. It was torture, seeing him do his very best to correct the mistake she berated him about, even when she knew deep down that she didn't mind his faults at all.

         Aubrey didn't say anything, making Lucas drop his smile. He closed his eyes and sighed, walking up to Aubrey who stared at his hazel eyes unwaveringly, as if lost in the galaxies contained inside them. Lucas reached for her pale hands that are as white as China, rubbing them in a gentle manner.

          "Seriously, why are you so sloppy? It's winter, Aubrey. Why would you forget to bring your gloves?" he teased, although his expression isn't visible to the one he's talking to. The female violinist remained mute, grasping the older's hand and prying it away from hers. The male was taken aback, but he complied, offering a silent okay as a response. The hurting in his eyes went unnoticed to Aubrey, but she couldn't bring herself to do anything. Her resolve from before just dispersed into the cold night.

         "Let's go home. It's late."

          Aubrey watched as her best friend returned his violin to its case, before passing by her, about to go home. It was common sense. Of course they had to go. Even though the snow had stopped minutes ago, possibly hours, the cold is nothing to laugh at. It wouldn't hesitate to make you shiver, tuck your hands in your pockets and cover your body with heat packs.

          But she wants to stay.

          Just in the nick of time, she turned around and grab ahold of the older's coat, lowering her head so he wouldn't see her face. Lucas stopped abruptly and faced the female. It only took one look for him to understand her message instantly. He placed his hand on her head as she let go of him, arms falling beside her.

         The world seemed to run in slow motion as their gazes met once again. The colors around them dimmed, but their eyes, full of life, remained their hue.

          This doesn't happen very often, when they have this moment of silence, letting their feelings be seen through the slight twitches of their fingertips or the stare they hold when they see each other eye to eye.

          Lucas' lips curved upward. Aubrey isn't much of a talkative person. But he can hear her clearly.

         He can hear the guilt, the awkward apology, the compensation and the pain hidden behind the strings of her heart.

          He can hear them all.

          But they pushed all those aside as they spent hours basking under the moonlight, letting their hearts play the rhythm they always did.

          At least they didn't notice their world shatter, tiny bits of it falling to the ground like pieces of glass over the ringing sound of their melody.