6

In The Car

[E]

Sitting in the passenger seat in her black audi felt strange. Alison had become a business woman in a few months. It was like she was completely broken when we were together and when I got out of the picture she lived up to the kind of woman she wanted to be. The thought of it made me feel even more useless than I already did.

''How was it in juvie?'' Alison asked from the driver's seat. Her attention was on the road and every now and then I spotted her stealing a glance in the rear view mirror.

''Better than expected.'' I simply replied.

''You didn't miss being out in the free?''

''I did at first, then I changed my mind when I got confirmed that there was nothing worth missing out here.'' As soon as the words slipped out between my lips, I regretted saying it. Especially when I glanced at Alison and noticed how she swallowed multiple times to control her emotions. ''I didn't mean-''

''It's fine.'' Alison cut me off sharply.

It became silent in the car. The air was so tense you could've cut through it with a knife. I didn't want to hurt Alison. No matter what she might put me through, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew I was the reason she had tears in her eyes. Guess it proves a lot.

''So.. How have you been during this time?'' I returned the question.

Alison shrugged. ''As good as I can be, I guess. Most of the time I've been working at the shop so I haven't had much time to do other things.''

''I'm glad you succeeded with your business plan.'' I did mean that. Alison had always been what I pictured a typical business woman would look and act like. How she always told me how much she hated the uniforms at Jefferson's and would do anything to wear a classic pantsuit. But she was never the arrogant and busy type either. She was capable of being in charge, but would never place herself above anyone else.

''Thank you.'' Alison kept the casual tone when she spoke. And it came up to the surface after I accidentally said there wasn't anything out here worth missing. One sentence and I fucked it up. Sure, I was mad at her for what she did but like I said before, I don't tolerate me being the reason she's feeling sad. On the other hand I couldn't apologize, it'd make me the underdog.

''We're here.'' Alison spoke up minutes later as she drove up on a driveway outside a medium sized grey house. She parked the car and got out without a word.

I got out as well, and I barely managed to close the passenger door before she locked the car. Since I hadn't been here before I let her walk in front of me to show me where I was supposed to go. No words were said from the car, until she unlocked the front door and held it open for me.

''Thanks.'' I gratefully told her as I stepped inside. But I stopped in the doorway and turned to her. ''Listen.. I didn't mean what I said in the car.''

''I believe you.'' Alison answered. She still sounded close to collapse on the floor, and trust me when I say that I wanted nothing more than just hugging her for hours. But I couldn't.

I nodded and walked in for real this time. She threw her keys on a sideboard in the hallway and motioned with her index finger for me to follow her. She led me to what I believe must be the basement and opened the door. Behind it was stairs, like I expected.

Alison walked in front of me the whole way and halfway down I felt the smell of a male perfume. I tensed up and had to crack my fingers to get rid of it. Her basement sure did not look like you're expecting a basement to look. In this house it seemed more like a part of the house, just as clean with same color on the walls and nice furniture.