Chapter 7

s e v e n 

{mila's POV}

            Something underneath me shifted, suddenly triggering my eyes to snap open immediately and come into contact with the brown, chocolaty eyes of Marshall.

            He stared back wide-eyed, with so much horror and shock, "G-go back to sleep," he whispered softly.

            Jumping straight to the point, "Where are you going?" I asked, pulling him closer.

            "Nowhere...." He seemed unsure.

            I frowned. "Then why were you moving?"

            A blush rose to his cheeks, "I thought I heard the front door-"

            I didn't allow Marshall to finish because in barely a second, I had winged the covers off of our naked bodies letting an unflattering breeze brush past my bare thighs. Marshall groaned loudly, grumbling under his breath.

            Pretending not to hear, I threw him his clothes and proceeded to jump into a pair of clean underwear and a bra.

            "Mila, honey, are you awake?" my dad's voice boomed from downstairs.

            My breath hitched as my movements became more frantic. I looked over at Marshall, who struggled getting his head through his sleeves. Why do I love this dumb-ass? I thought to myself, briefing through my closet for some nightwear.

            "Quiet, Harold you'll wake her!" mum hushed, the sound of her heels clicking rapidly against the floor boards sent a warning chill down my spine.

            "You've done an awful amount of telling me off today, Renée."

         My parents resorted into a loud and futile argument about who complains the most, occasionally throwing in comments such as, "Keep you bloody voice down, you're going to wake Mila!" because, of course, that wouldn't wake me up.

            "Do your parents always argue like this?" Marshall suddenly asked. I looked at him with an arched eyebrow and shrugged.

            "Usually." I responded, tugging my dressing gown past my waist.

            Without warning, I was abruptly engulfed in Marshall's warm, loving arms. "What are you doing?" I could feel the slow and harmonious sound of his heart beating softly against my cheek, sending mine racing. Instantly, I became relaxed. The sound of my parents weren't there anymore.

            I could only vaguely make out the ethereal words Marshall uttered to me. "Hugging you." he explained, his voice barely above a whisper. "I just wish I was here to comfort you at times like this."

            I didn't reply. Instead, I tangled my arms around his waist and stood there listening to his heart thump rhythmically; reverberating against my cheek. For what felt hours, everything was forgotten including time.

            But the problem was that time likes to point out it's existence at the worse possible time and before I knew it Marshall was ripped away from me in such a haste I hadn't realised it until my dad started to yell profanities.

            "What the hell, Mr Preston? I thought we were cool!" Marshall retorted, confusion sprawled on his face. My gut clenched as I sensed the terror about to unfold.

 *

 r o s e 

            A breathless gasp escaped from my mouth, startling Kyle.