Dizzy

In the Circle, working to patch people up after the healers had finished was always a difficult task. Often dizzy from blood loss, the broken clung to Kiora's soft body like their lives depended on it. To them, she was sure that it certainly felt like it did.

"A spell backfired." A girl around her age was currently sitting in her lap, arms wrapped around Kiora's shoulders and face buried against her neck.

Kiora didn't correct her, instead just rubbing gentle circles on the girl's back. Her nose had been broken and she'd gotten multiple cuts across her face, but only the obscured bruising was left to show.

"A spell backfired." It hadn't. She had rejected one of the Templars' advances, and he hadn't taken the no well.

It happened more often than Kiora wished it would ever. She was only nineteen, yet she had patched up more people than she ever wished to see. Mainly women, but she had her fair share of men. Brutalized or locked in solitary, having their children pulled from their arms, they all came to Kiora for her non-traditional healing.

"You'll be alright," Kiora said, holding the girl in her lap tight. "Here." Her hands warmed with magic, sending soothing waves through the girl's petite body. She was a pretty elven girl, with big brown eyes and curly black hair. Kiora always pitied the pretty elves. They usually got it worst.

"Thank you," she croaked out, her voice still thick with tears. She swayed a little in Kiora's arms, overwhelmed to the point of lingering nausea. "Thank you, healer."

"You'll be alright," Kiora repeated. "But don't hesitate to come to me if you aren't." She smiled to herself, affection for the girl on her lap warming her chest. "Even if you are okay, I wouldn't mind a visit."

That got her to huff out a little laugh, at least. She hummed a little okay against Kiora's warm skin. "Healer..."

"Yes?"

"I should go." She pulled away from Kiora, unwrapping her arms. She still had a few lingering tears, which Kiora wiped away with the handkerchief she usually kept in her pocket. The little piece of black cloth was imbued with an uncountable number of tears. "Thank you."

Kiora smiled, letting go of the girl. "Don't hesitate to come back, alright?"

The girl smiled at Kiora's whispery voice. "I won't." Her smile was weak, but present. That was always a good sign Kiora's treatment was helping. She hesitated a moment before turning and leaving. Kiora was once again alone in her tiny bedroom.

She got up off the floor, dusting off her robes, and set to changing into her nightgown. The session had gone long into the night, but Kiora didn't mind. She was incredibly tired, though. She crawled into bed, hugging a pillow tight.

The poor thing had to go back to the apprentice quarters, had to pass Templars in the hallway. Thankfully, she had a healer's pass to excuse her being out so late. Kiora hoped they saw each other again under better circumstances.

Then again, Kiora hardly ever met anyone under good circumstances anymore.