1945: Das Ende

The war was over and I was about ready to collapse. Who knew six years of war could beat a person down this badly? I mean, we've been through this once before, and we even survived a devastating market crash almost twenty years ago. But, I guess being bombed relentlessly for three years straight could wreak absolute havoc on the immune system.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Elyse Beilschmidt, otherwise known as the capital city of Berlin, Germany. The year is 1945 and what was dubbed as World War II had ended in April. It was about two weeks into August and I was still trying to pick up the pieces of my sanity that had scattered years ago. Only right now I was sitting in a stuffy room with the Allied powers who were arguing over what to do with my brothers and me.

They were splitting the country into four pieces, one for each of them. China was dealing with Japan and I don't think they've gotten to Italy just yet. I think he'll be fine, comparatively. While his leader might have been a fascist and killed several people, our war crimes and crimes against humanity were far more... disgusting.

Ludwig was technically three pieces, now. Gilbert's representation status was changed, as he was now East Germany, that part being taken by Russia. Gott in Himmel, protect that poor man.

As for me, well, that's to be determined. Seeing as I'm the sole hub for the government and apparently right in the middle of Soviet territory, it's been a bit tricky to plan around me.

"The obvious thing to do is to just have her report to all of us, seeing as she's already got government infrastructure there. That way we don't have to set up camp elsewhere," Arthur said, his English accent really shining through. And really pissing me off. Arschloch.

I may or may not still be mad at him for almost literally beating a dead horse. How many times did one have to bomb an already crumbling city before it's had enough? Once, I get. Twice, that's fair. But several times over three years? Absolutely overkill.

"For once, I agree with the limey bastard," Francis surprisingly chimed in. "I mean, it makes sense. Less work on our part."

Ja, but more work on mine, I lamented inwardly. I guess the expression was clear on my face because I got a look of pity from Alfred. It didn't do much for me considering he, along with Ivan, was racing to see who could catch me the fastest, only to meet in the middle and then worked together to cuff me like a criminal– oh wait.

I guess he felt bad. Not only did I have to report to everyone else, but I also had to report to Ivan, who the American was beginning to mistrust severely. Not that I blamed him, Ivan had been doing some shady things ever since this whole communism thing started. He seemed like a nice enough man, but his government was turning him into a childlike weasel.

Once the meeting was over, I decided to make my quick escape so that I could breathe. Being in that room with those men was starting to get a little overwhelming. Ludwig still had some things to discuss with the people who would be overseeing the rebuilding of our country. I should have been doing the same thing, I couldn't stand another minute in that room. After I had sufficiently gathered myself, I made an effort to get out of the meeting hall before the clearing of a throat caught me. Verdammt.

Looking back, it was none other than Alfred. Great.

"You sure made a hasty exit, little lady. I'm sure you wanna know about reconstruction, right?" he asked, making his way over to me.

"Not as bad as I want to get out of here," I answered, trying to keep myself composed. "I don't really have much of a say right now, so, I'm just going to sit back and let the men do all the work."

For as dumb as this man was from time to time, he sure picked up on some things I didn't think he'd pick up on. "Look, I know it's gotta be shitty having to answer to all four of us at once, but you'll make it out of this in one piece."

I let out a breath through my nose that was supposed to be a replacement for a wry laugh. "You seem hopeful for a man who's only ever actually fought wars he won, one of which was with himself," I teased. He pouted.

"Hey, give me some credit, I technically had to answer to two governments on that one-- even if I was on the side of the Union," he defended.

This time I actually laughed but covered my mouth so that the others didn't hear. The walls were somewhat thin. "Ach, you're so young... You'll eventually know the toll that war actually takes when you lose. It's not pretty."

There was a thoughtful look on his face, almost as if he was trying to think of whether or not he's actually lost any wars. He raised his eyebrows and nodded. "Yeah, I guess we'll have to see about that."

My lips pressed into a line, not sure what to say next before letting out a soft sigh. "I'm going to head out now. You probably have more stuff to talk about with my brother considering he's the important one here. I'll definitely be seeing you around, though."

With that, I was out the door, only to be caught again, only this time by the hand.

"Wait... I'll catch him later. I... do you want to get a drink with me? Maybe loosen up the tensions a little bit?" he asked, practically begged even.

How cute.

Looking up in thought, I looked back to his pleading face. Why did he have to look at me like that? Hanging my head in defeat I nodded.

"Fine, fine, I'll go get a drink with you, but only one or two, okay?" I still had a lot of work to do the next day and I really didn't want to have to do that with a throbbing headache.

The American's face seemed to light up and I practically melted on the inside. Gottverdammt. Why did he have to look so cute?

And so, the two of us headed to a local pub, nothing too fancy. I broke my only rule for the night and had a little more than two drinks. I guess I was feeling extra pitiful.

What had ended up in a night in Alfred's hotel room was the beginning of an odd partnership. One that I didn't know the outcome of, which scared me. A lot. But only time would tell how well it would work out.