1961: Wände

White-hot, searing pain tore through my body. He wasn't going to stop until he knew I was broken, inside and out. The bruises he was leaving would heal, but what was happening was something that would never heal.

Ivan was building a wall, the plans of which were slowly but surely being etched into my back as construction carried on and with every slab of concrete placed, another scorching mark made its way up my spine. Thinking about it made my fresh scars burn along with whatever the hell Ivan was doing to me.

I was mentally in and out of the moment all at once, the pain was excruciating to the point where I think I might have blacked out at some point, but I don't remember and honestly? I think it would be best if I didn't.

"Clean yourself up, get dressed, and get out of my sight. I don't want to see you until I call you next," he ordered once he was finished, zipping himself up and straightening out his own clothing before leaving the room.

Once he was gone, I felt tears involuntarily streaking my face, as I finally let everything catch up with me. The past few days had been absolutely awful.

It started when I started feeding Alfred information about what the Soviets were doing. I wrote down notes during meetings, got copies of the tapes from the wiretapping Ivan had been doing, anything with sensitive information that hadn't been blacked out, I sent to him as discreetly as I could. Half of me was still free, so I used the international post in the Allied half of my city to get things to him.

It had been going smoothly for a while until the day Ivan followed me. I guess he had heard that there was a mole, so to speak, among their ranks and suspected me. I had been a pain in his side since day one and I guess he wanted to single me out.

After an interrogation that went around in circles, Ivan finally had enough and tried grabbing me, which resulted in me biting his hand and running, but in the end, he finally caught me.

From the pitying look on the face of a particular Lithuanian when I was angrily brought into Ivan's home, I could tell this wasn't going to end well for me. And from the numbness I was feeling in my current state, I'm not so happy to report that it did not, in fact, end well for me.

I gathered myself, made sure it looked like nothing happened, and made my way out so I could go home and drink until I passed out, not wanting to see the scene of what just happened over and over again like I was at that moment.

This was the first incident that would lead to two more decades of incidents.