Chapter Three

It all seemed to happen too fast for Blaize and within moments of arriving downstairs she found herself whisked out to the car with barely even enough time to say goodbye to her friend. She hugged Carmen a few seconds too long as she wished that she didn’t have to leave, didn’t have to go with a man that she despised in to a future that was uncertain. Carmen didn’t seem to notice her worries though and she grinned wide as she waved them off believing them to be the happy newlyweds. Blaize knew the truth though and she knew that no matter how Carlos manipulated the truth he wasn’t the man she had believed him to be.

            She kept staring back at the small cottage even long after it had disappeared from view and when eventually she turned back in her seat Blaize was unprepared for the sudden feeling of complete loneliness that assailed her. Just 24 hours ago she had been surrounded by loving family and looking forward to marrying the man of her dreams. Now she had nobody to care for her and nowhere to turn. Everything had been destroyed and it was all because of the man next to her.

            Glancing over at him she felt an unexpected surge of heat as her gaze connected briefly with his before he turned back to the road his jaw tense and his hand clenched around the wheel. Apparently she wasn’t the only one who was angry. Well, tough! He was the one who had caused all this. If not for him then she would still be happy and her father would still be free.

            She knew that her father wasn’t the best man in the world but he was still her family and he wasn’t nearly as bad as some of the people who worked for him. She had heard rumours that someone was trying to take over her father’s position. Which was one of the reasons her father had been so excited about their wedding. He had thought that Carlos would be by his side and would eventually take over from him but instead he had betrayed them all and now her father was rotting away in a prison. It just wasn’t fair, and she blamed herself for it all.

            “Stop the car,” she said quietly but firmly without looking in his direction but Carlos continued driving as though she hadn’t even spoken. She waited a few moments and when he didn’t stop she turned to him eyes flashing furiously.

            “I said stop the car!” she shouted but he didn’t even glance her way instead concentrating on driving.

            “No,” he said in answer and her eyes widened in shock.

            “What do you mean no? Stop this car right now!” she commanded not used to people ignoring her demands.

            “I mean exactly what I said. I will not stop this car until we reach our destination,” he told her firmly and she glared at him.

            “And where exactly would that be?” she asked with an edge to her voice that he chose to ignore.

            “I thought it time you met my parents,” he told her with a brief glance her way and Blaize couldn’t help the hurt look that crossed her features.

            “You told me your parents were dead,” she said softly barely able to believe how deep the lies went. Was anything he had told her true?