Chapter Thirty Two

"Niall, Siobhan," my dad began. "I was informed early this morning of an incident involving the two of you last night."

We looked at each other, "Dad, I--"

"Niall, let me speak. The behavior that you displayed last night is the not the behavior of the son I raised. Nor the behavior of the son your mother raised."

I sat there confused. This was not going where I had thought it was. Or was it?

"I got a call from Rory Byrne's father, saying that you attacked his son for no reason. He said you were drunk and acting out against him for no reason at all."

I baulked at what my dad had just said, "He's lying!"

"Why would he lie, Niall? He said Rory has a broken nose and several bruises all over his body."

"Because Rory is an asshole! He provoked me!" I said, jumping up.

"Niall," Siobhan said softly, grabbing a hold of my hand. She pulled me back down next to her and held on to me.

"Siobhan, no, Rory has been nothing but a jerk to us and now his father thinks we're the bad guys. Fuck that!"

"Niall!" My father said, "Your language, young man!"

"Dad, Rory is lying to his dad. Ask anyone in this town what kind of son he has raised."

"Did you get into a fight with him last night?"

"Yes but--"

"Were you drunk?"

"Yes but--"

"So where's the lie?"

"The lie is why. We were walking home and he and Conor both provoked us, Rory especially. He said some horrible things to Siobhan and I wasn't about to just stand there and let that happen!" I again jumped up off the couch.

My dad, with a softer look and tone, looked at Siobhan, "What happened last night, Siobhan?"

She was quiet for a moment, looking as if she wanted to cry. No one but me and Thomas really knew about the harassment she had endured all these years. She had never wanted to tell her father afraid he would make them move again. Thomas and I had become her protectors as we grew up. She looked up at me, tears in her eyes. I immediately sat back down and held her, whispering in her ear that she didn't have to say anything.

"Siobhan?" My dad asked, again, "What's going on?"

She let go of me and looked at my dad, "Niall's telling the truth, Mr. Horan. We were walking home last night from the dance when Rory and Conor came out of a side street. Conor didn't do anything but Rory said some pretty crass things to me and Niall...." she paused and looked at me, "Niall just did what he has always done, protect me. Yes, we were both drunk and yes, Niall hit him first but only after he was provoked to do so."

"Where did you stay last night?" my dad asked, turning to me.

"With me," she said. "I was upset and asked him to stay until I had calmed down. I must've fallen asleep and Niall did the same."

"Why did you lie to your father?"

Siobhan looked up a little shocked, "I...um...didn't want him to be upset that Niall had stayed the night without permission."

My dad ran his hand through his hair and sighed, "Look, you two, Rory's father isn't happy and he isn't someone who will let this go. I will talk with him and hope he is reasonable." Turning to Siobhan, he said, "Your father believes Niall was with Thomas. Perhaps you should inform him where he actually was." He turned back to me, "As for you, you were drinking, underage, at a school function. You both could've gotten into a lot of trouble. But we'll keep that between us for now. Your mother would not be pleased. But, you are grounded, Niall."

"But, dad--!"

"No, buts, son. I believe you but you still made the choice to hit Rory and get into a fight. You could've kept going and let it be. I can't just let you get off scot free for this. I won't tell your mother what happened, unless she inquires about it. But you will be confined to this house when you are with me." He stopped for a moment as I sat down and looked at Siobhan. "I know you're leaving us again soon and I don't want to ruin the little bit of time you have here, so you'll be grounded for just this weekend."

I looked back at him and he had a small smile on his face.

"Thanks, dad." I said, appreciative that he understood. "I'm sorry, dad." I said.

"I'm sorry, too, Mr. Horan," Siobhan quietly said. She looked so scared that my dad was going to say something to hers. "Please, don't tell my dad that Rory was being a jerk. He's always been a jerk to me. I don't want him getting upset over something like this. He doesn't need it right now."

My dad looked at her, a soft expression came across his face and he nodded. "I know that, honey. But I do think you need to tell him something. I won't be able to keep this a secret from his mother for very long, and you won't be able to keep it from your father, either. It will definitely be best if he hears it from you. Okay?"

My dad reached out and gave her a tight hug. I looked at the two of them. Something was going on. What was I missing?