Chapter 3

She was super excited to start her new job. Her first job, the only job she has ever had, the more she thought about it, the more she became nervous.

Clarke is the daughter of Abigail Kane and Jake Griffin. Her father ran one of the largest aerospace electronics and computer database firms in the world. He died in a tragic accident at NASA headquarters, launching test flights. Leaving her quite the inheritance.

After a few years her mother married her stepfather Marcus Kane who is now the Secretary General of The United Nations. Abby and Clarke do not talk often, the relationship is and has been strained ever since Jake died.

She needed normalcy, she needed friends, hell she needed anything that kept her away from her past. They moved a lot when she was young, only after her father died did they stay in the same town until Clarke graduated. She was the poor little rich girl, no daddy and a mother who didn't want to be bothered. She attended a pricey private school where the girls were beyond nasty and wasted no time reminding her where she stood among them.

Lincoln was a friend she met at the local park, her only friend. When she needed a few hours to get away, he would help her escape from her life. He would climb the trellis and sneak her out the window.

Working was never anything she needed to do, and it still wasn't. Which may be why she wanted to so bad. She showered, put makeup on, braided her hair and headed out with more than enough time to walk there.

She paused outside, looking up at the sign.

'Gifts of the Goddess'

"Well here goes nothing" she opened the door and walked in.

The bell above the door jingling and signalling her arrival.

Octavia peeked around a display.

"Perfect, right on time! You can set your purse and sweatshirt in the back, there is an office, feel free to use one of the chairs to hold your stuff." She smiled pointing to the door behind the counter.

Clarke made her way back to the office, two desks sat back to back with papers scattered everywhere. She dropped her stuff in a free chair and headed back out.

"Okay so walk around, get a feel for what we have and where everything is, then when we get a customer I'll show you how to work the register." Octavia instructed.

"Okay, sounds good" Clarke replied making her way through the store, straightening up and taking note of everything on shelves and displays.

"You work nights usually?" Clarke asked.

"Now yes, but once your all trained you will be by yourself from 7 to 11. My brother and I work during the day and your days off. We usually cut out around 7"

"Do you own the store?"

"Bellamy and I are partners" she replied.

"You guys are really close huh?"

"Yeah, I know he seems like an ass, and lets face it most the time he is, he really is nice, he means well and hes a great big brother."

Clarke smiled at her answer. She loved her brother that much was clear.

"I always wished I had a sibling, Lincoln was the closest thing to a brother I had"

"Speaking of Lincoln, what's that situation?" Octavia walked down the same aisle as her.

"He's my best friend. He's single, loves to go out and have fun, you should stop over and talk with him sometime, maybe you guys will hit it off" Clarke offered.

"Yeah I'd like that, he's definitely cute"

The girls walked the aisles and straightened everything out, the door jingled breaking up the endless chatter.

"Good evening, how are you?" Clarke asked. She was ducked down below a display leaving her out of sight.

"Uh good, where and who are you?"

"I'm Clarke and I'm right, oh its you" she said surprised

"Yup it's me and you are here because?" he raised his eyebrow waiting for an answer.

"Because I hired her" Octavia replied from the back.

"You what? Without asking?"

"We said we wanted another person, she needed a job"

Bellamy looked irritated and defeated.

"Fine, but shes your problem" he stated.

"She has a name and is still in the room" Clarke Stated. He just threw his hands up and stormed off to the back.

"Okay, so why does he not like me? Cant just be the dogs right?"

"He just doesn't know you, he will come around, just wait and see" Octavia replied confidently.

The night went quickly, Bellamy left around 9 without so much as a word. They had a few customers so Clarke learned the register and deposit procedures.

The girls closed up around 11 and walked home together. Clarke could hear the music before they turned the corner.

Bellamy's house was lit up, every room in the house had lights on and people were standing on his porch, in the yard, in the driveway.

"Is it alway as like this?

"Nope usually only Friday and Saturdays." Octavia replied.

"Till what time?"

"1ish usually " she answered just as a whistle was sent in there direction.

"Octavia, who's your friend?" a voice called from the porch.

"This is Clarke, our new neighbor"

"Well hello neighbor Clarke, I'm Finn" he called from the porch.

"Hi" she answered with a wave.

"He's one of Bellamy's friends, stay away from his friends if you know whats good for you. They are all idiots" Octavia explained.

They were just about to her driveway when Lincoln came out.

"Hey, where are you headed?" Clarke asked.

"The party next door, you gonna be there ? " he smiled turning his attention toward Octavia.

"Yup soon as I get out of work clothes, I'll see you there, you too Clarke"

Clarke glanced at Bellamy's house.

"Yeah, in few minutes" she walked down the path to her door, and made her way to the closet.

"Now to pick something to wear"