And A Story Starts

Xiao Zhan's POV:

"You look exceptionally handsome today" Yibo teases as he comes to stand by my side. Making me face him he straightens my crooked tie.

Unwilling to let this slide, I embrace him and kiss him on his cheeks "What's with you love?"

"Hm?"

"You normally leave all these teasings to me" I wink and he smiles.

Gazing into my eyes adoringly, he grazes his knuckles against my jaw "Just"

"Is everything alright, love?"

"Hm" he looks away and before I could further probe into the matter my phone rings.

"Dr. Xiao here"

"Dr. Xiao, it's Officer Beck, we need you at the scene here, I am texting you the address"

"Alright" I cancel the call and before I could ask Yibo few more questions, he kisses my lips.

"Case?"

"Hm"

"Have a safe day" he hugs me and I melt in his warmth.

Bidding him farewell and as I drive away, I remember the dream that I had.

Maybe had I paid more attention or asked him more questions, we could have dealt with our problems mutually. At times we become pawns in our own games. What we never realised was the game had begun and we were speeding towards the end.

---

"Dr. Xiao" Officer Beck greets and ushers me into a wealthy house. Observing the surrounding, I can make a wild guess that whoever owns this house is definitely a wealthy and a politically enriched person and my observations as usal have never lies to me.

"Dr. Xiao, Mayor Guan Chao" Officer Beck introduces me to a man dressed impeccably with a commanding aura. Interesting.

We then walk into the next room.

Crime Scene.

A women in her mid thirties, dressed in deep purple night gown. Body placed facing the celing, right in the middle of the room. Her face looks undisturbed and what's that smell? Taking a whiff, I can smell mild musk perfume.

I look around and my gaze lands on something very interesting.

"Dr. Xiao" I am interrupted by the Mayor and as I turn, it's not the commanding aura but one of a pompous ass that's emitting from him.

"Mayor Guan" I put up a sharade.

"As you can see, someone has murdered my daughter in law in a very gruesome way, I hope you can catch him as soon as possible" he gives me a sly smile.

"I would like to meet your son, Mr. Mayor"

He is taken aback "Sorry?"

"Your son Mr. Mayor, I'd like to have a word with him".

"He isn't here" he tries to lie.

"Mr. Mayor, when I entered this place, I saw two luxurious cars in the garage. One being yours as it was parked outside near the driveway and the other was parked inside which looked used quite often."

Glaring at me and with no other hope nor choice he calls for his son.

The way he entered, I knew the case was closed before it was started.

I knew who the murderer was.

"Dr. Xiao?" I am called back by officer Beck.

Turning back, I look at Mr. Guan jr. "you might want to arrest the culprits, Officer Beck, he and the Mayor are the ones who have murdered Mrs. Guan" I smile.

"That's preposterous" Mr. Mayor roars "How can you accuse us of such a henious crime?"

By now we have gathered quite a crowd and I turn to the father "Your daughter in law is dressed in a night gown, which shows she was comfortable with whom ever she was here with. Second there are two whiskey tumblers on the table. She didn't consume any as there is no trace of whiskey on her but there is one on you. She was not murdered here but was brought in here to make it appear that it was a hate crime. Third" I look at the investigators "If you could check her bedroom, you're bound to find some blood samples. Fourth when your son entered the room, he kept looking at you and then his eyes shifted above, to the bedroom, sub conciously. This is not how a husband would act when his beloved is murdered. Lastly" I grin "Yours and his cuffs have crease and stains of blood" immediately they're cuffed by the good officers "Good Luck".

As I walk out, I hear a scream "I won't leave you, you scoundrel" he spits on the ground "you'll pay for this" he threatens and I pay least heed to it. 

I should have listened to him that day.

---
"Dr. Xiao" Sunny knocks the door and enters "You have been summoned to Dr. Sand's office, the autopsy reports have arrived" I nod and he leaves.

Driving through the gates and parking my car, I enter the building and immediately am engulfed in the stench of rot. Knocking Dr. Sand's office, he looks extremely serious as he invites me in. Handing me the report, he informs me "you're right, the Mayor and his son were involved in her murder, but" I look up and wait for his but "there's more. She was pregnant and the child was not her husband's".

Turning completely towards the good doctor I enquire "Father in laws?" And he shakes his head "No" .

"Then?"

"That's what's astonishing!"

"Dr. Sand please don't keep it in suspense and out with it" I say impatiently.

"It's the genes of the foetus. It's mutated".

---

Duh duh duh.

Imagine the background music. 😁

Bonus Pic: